Converting old pool to SWG - galvanic corrosion an issue?

mchimes

Silver Supporter
May 22, 2016
Orlando, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hello,

I'm strongly considering the switch this summer from LC to SWG, but I am concerned about galvanic corrosion which I have read about. The pool is plaster and built in the 1975. I understand that if the metal components were not bonded, then the metal (rebar, pump, etc.) may corrode over time. Should I be concerned about this and how can I know if it is bonded? Also, should I expect the steel fasteners/joist hangers on my composite deck around the pool to corrode quicker with SWG water?

Thanks for your time and expertise.

16,000 gal quartz plaster finish, 1.25 HP single speed pump, Hayward C1200 filter. Water balanced using TFP method/pool math app for two years.

Do you see a copper wire attached to your pump, coming from the ground?? That would be your bonding wire.

You ever drain and refill that pool?

Did you know that older pools have almost as much salt in them already even before anyone puts a SWG in? All the chemicals you add break down and many leave behind trace amounts of salt. It adds up.

But....being that you're in FL with frequent drenching rains, your pool probably gets drained down a good bit here and there which helps lower CYA, CH and Salt.

I would suggest you buy the Taylor 1766 Salt test kit and test your pool water now, before you go SWG.

To Shop, remember to go at least 2X your pool size when choosing a SWG device.

Good place to research brands, sizes, prices, features --> DiscountSaltPools.Com

Maddie :bounce:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.