Converting from Sand filter to Cartridge

Varelao95

Mar 29, 2019
Lewisville, NC
Hello everyone thinking about converting pool sand filter to cartridge filter. Trying to weight the pros and cons of doing it. I currently have an Hayward s200 sand filter matched with a Hayward super pump 1hp I want to convert to a cartridge filter but am looking for one that is compatible.

Get the largest one you can find that will fit in your space and you can afford. Bigger means you may only need to clean it once per year.

Any brand will work.

With a cartridge filter you really want to get the largest one you can possibly afford. Unlike a sand filter, there’s no backwashing so the only option for cleaning them is to open them up and wash off the filters. On the big cart filters (especially the ones that have 4 cartridges in them), cleaning them can take several hours (best to have a second set to swap in and out). It’s not impossible, but it’s a lot of hose work. So getting the largest possible one will minimize the number of times you have to clean them to maybe once or twice per year.

Would there be an issue with using a Hayward Swim clear C2030 with 2.5 fitting to a hayward superpump using 1.5 piping? Im worried that the conversion would put a strain on my equipment I am considering using 2 inch piping and using a reducer to make it happen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.