Converting from Colorlogic to Pool Tone

Gregg A

Aug 4, 2020
Conroe, TX
My lights are all bad, two pool and one spa. I am planning on getting the Pool Tone lights from Florida Sunseeker and the 300 watt transformer. Does anyone have a wiring diagram to install this? As I understand, you have to have the GFCI connected but doesnt the transformer interfere? Since I have the three lights, two are controlled by the "Pool Light" setting and the other by the "Spa Light" setting on my remote so I will need to wire the transformer to supply the power to the relays.

My biggest question is wiring the GCFI.

Thanks,

Gregg A

Thanks for the link, however, I think this will only work if the pool and spa are on the same relay/switch, which I may end up doing..........ideally, I would like to have the leads coming off the transformer be the feed for the relays, that way I can still turn the pool and/or spa on separately.

If you want to control the pool and spa lights separately you need two transformers independently switched.

What system are the relays in?

Your pool light wiring should run to a pool light junction box where it connects with the power feed.

Yes, from my controller the power supply goes to a pair of J-Boxes that then go to the three lights. In my controller box, I have two relays that supply the hots (1 for each light(s)) feeding the j-boxes.

My plan was to put the transformer on the inlet side of the relays............please excuse my poor drawing.

Controller.jpg

What controller do you have?

It is better to use a single transformer for each relay and light that is switched by the relay. Among the problems that your wiring can create are that the transformer is always powered and most of the time you will have the transformer powered with no load on it which will just generate heat and may reduce the life of the transformer. Also you greatly increase the wiring length of the output which may not allow you to get 12V at the light.

It is not clear to me from your wiring diagram if the transformer is properly GFCI protected on the LOAD side of the GFCI outlet.

Last edited:
Its a Jandy Aqualink, I think I will go with the set up that you posted above. But have both the pool and spa on the same relay. I have already purchased the 300 watt transformer and would rather not pour any more money into the lights. Thanks for the replies.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Low voltage does not require a ground.
Hi Allen, well I finally got all my lights in and installed............I ended up mounting my transformer next to the junction boxes for the three lights and put all three lights (two pool and one spa) on the same switch (relay).

My question is, all the lights had ground wires in them and so I connected them to the ground coming from my panel which also connects to the ground for the transformer, do I need to disconnect the ground to the lights from the ground to the transformer? If so, what do I do with the ground wire from the lights?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.