Converting from Baquacil to Chlorine soon...a few questions

Thanks poolpop...I'm not sure how mine is set up...it is a Starite sand filter?...I had the pool people do my closing last season, so I'm not sure if mine is like yours.
So what you are saying is that you can drain some water from the bottom drain, but no sand???
Then keep water above the sand bed to help lift up on the stand pipe to pull up the laterals...does this sound right?
Thanks
Curt

Exactly! Good Luck and maybe you can get some sand out of the drain, but that just doesn't make any sense to me. Would you not lose sand every time you winterize? I don't know. There are al lot of folks on that know a lot more than me, but that is my experience.

Thanks!!

Here is the latest update...
Took poolmom's advice and added 2lbs of cya to pool via the sock at the return method...worked great...it took about 1 1/2 hours to totally empty the sock. I will not test cya until 5-6 days. I added chlorine last night up to 4ppm and tested this morn and it was at 3ppm and CC was still at .5ppm. Added a bit before going to work to make it through the day.

Planning to change out the sand tomorrow as long as the weather holds (calling for t-storms!)..My question is do I need to backwash before I change the sand?? seeing that I am getting rid of it anyway...
And when the new sand is in, should I do a backwash or rinse before I start regular filtration??

Thanks again and wish me luck with the sand!!! :mrgreen:

Curt

I wouldn't backwash before changing the sand, since your're getting rid of it anyway, that's just wasting your preciously perfect water. :mrgreen:

I do think you do want to backwash and rinse with new sand....it can contain alot of dust, etc.

Good luck! :goodjob:

Well...I think I am done!!!

Changed out my sand this past Sat...went well, just a bit time consuming...something I don't want to do often!!!

I added my cya last week..waiting to test it tomorrow...I'm sure I will need to add more as my Chlorine is dropping some each day...the CC level is at 0!!!
The water is crystal clear, but still cold!!!...Brrrrr! But that does not seem to bother the kids...

Can I start to put the solar cover on now, or should I wait till the cya level is right?

I will post a set of full results when I get the cya tested....plus try to post the pics too!!

Thanks again for all the help...I'm Baqua Free!!!
Curt

Congratulations! It sounds like you are done with the conversion.

Yes you can use the solar cover. The first few days you use the solar cover, double check that the CC level isn't rising. I don't expect any problems, but now and then the CC level will go up right after a conversion when using a solar cover.

Just a quick update...

It's been a week since I added my first round of cya...I put in 2 lbs...tested it yesterday..

Here are my results
FC -3.0
CC - .5
PH- 7.6
CYA- 20
TA- 180

I know the cya needs to increase so I added 2 more lbs and will test in 5-7 days
My FC level fluctuates between 1 and 3...i guess some is burned off during the day until I get the cya up to 50-70 range (is that right???) it holds good over night! The cc is always 0 or .5!

What about the high TA? Should that be lower? I see in the test kit it says 90-120 is a good range?? If it needs to be lowered, what is the best way to do it?

One more thing...we got a lot of rain the past days and calling for more tomorrow...the pool is full to the brim!!...it is up to the top of the skimmer box..is that ok??? or should I drain some down?? Not sure if it is ok for the pump/filter if the water is that high??

Man, where is summer??? Have this nice, clear converted pool and it is too cold and rainy to swim :rant:
Oh well, I'll just wait.... :cheers:
Thanks
Curt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congratulations on completion chdolfnz! :party:

I'm right above the border pepsiholic and I am so sick of seeing this rain and cool weather! :rant: I wanna go swimmin! :rant:

chdolfnz said:
I know the cya needs to increase so I added 2 more lbs and will test in 5-7 days
My FC level fluctuates between 1 and 3...i guess some is burned off during the day until I get the cya up to 50-70 range (is that right???) it holds good over night! The cc is always 0 or .5!
Your CYA range is 30 to 50. You should adjust your FC level based on your CYA. Never below 2! See Chlorine/CYA Chart in my sig.

What about the high TA? Should that be lower? I see in the test kit it says 90-120 is a good range?? If it needs to be lowered, what is the best way to do it?
Unless you are having problems with pH rising often requiring your attention with muriatic acid, I'd leave it alone.

One more thing...we got a lot of rain the past days and calling for more tomorrow...the pool is full to the brim!!...it is up to the top of the skimmer box..is that ok??? or should I drain some down?? Not sure if it is ok for the pump/filter if the water is that high??
I always lower the water to mid-skimmer level as soon as I am able. But, sometimes I use the extra water for vac'ing first.

Man, where is summer??? Have this nice, clear converted pool and it is too cold and rainy to swim :rant:
Oh well, I'll just wait.... :cheers:
Congratulations on your conversion. :sun: Hope you have a wonderful summer enjoying your pool.
Thanks
Curt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.