Converting from 120V to 12V lighting

ctviggen

Jul 10, 2022
Connecticut
Hi all,

I have an in ground pool, with a 120V light. I bought a 12 V light since in the 6 inch lights, 120V lights were hard to find. This picture shows a box that houses 120V wiring for the light:

1660499079542.png

The right conduit has cabling connected to a 15A GFCI breaker (through a switch near the pool), the left conduit goes to the 120V, 6-inch light. I bought this transformer/light combination:

Light + 120V to 12V transformer

Is there a weather tight box I can buy to fit the transformer in, and which would connect to both conduits?

Is there a place to see what the electrical codes for this are? (I have done a lot of work on this and my other house, and have degrees in electrical engineering. I know that 120V and 12V are usually not allowed in the same "box", but is this an exception?)

Something like this might work:

Orbit outdoor box

But I cannot see all the information I'd need to see to be able to tell whether it would work.

Great, thank you very much. While I'd like to use the transformer I have, since it has some fancy features with LED lights, we realistically only have a few more weekends of pool time where I live (CT). Once the kids get back to school, the pool gets forgotten.

I can figure out over the winter how to get the transformer installed, or maybe the electricians I called will have less to do and actually call me back. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.