Converting backwash filter port from rigid piping to hose?

CPM10V

Jun 12, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a rigid/in-ground backwash discharge piping attached directly to the valve on an older Pentair triton sand filter that previous owner installed (see pic). It’s convenient for backwash since there’s no hose to connect. Unfortunately the piping runs to yard in an area I need to re-grade & I’ll have to remove the pipe. How do I “restore” the backwash feature back to a “screw on hose” type? Thanks!

6A8DDA92-84DF-410D-BCF2-843B4C8DB2A8.jpeg

Looks like you will have to cut the backwash pipe where it runs horizontally and then the backwash hose can be attached with a hose clamp or possibly a screw on fitting for a more elegant (and less leaky) solution.

Think that change through before you make it. Hard pipe is reliable and looks good. Hose fittings are leaky, messy and can be amateurish looking if not done carefully. Can you divert the exit end of that pipe to a suitable location?

You may want to put the hose fitting closer to the ground so the hose is not dragging on the plumbing too much. I'd propose to cut the down pipe about 4"-6" from the ground and put a 90 on it toward the outside. Then put some concrete pavers below the 90 to support it and below the other end where the hose will attach. This way the hose filled with water is not putting any downward force on the piping.

If your future plans have you using that waste pipe again, you may want to put a 3-way valve on there instead.

Make sure that you sand down the pipe, wherever you put the fitting until it is white again, this will ensure that you have a good bond with the pvc glue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.