Converted to SWG and have cloudy water

Tjt

Jul 15, 2018
North Iowa
First year opening a new vinyl pool And converting to SWG. A week ago I added salt to get to approximately 3300 ppm. My ph drifted to 7.8 so I added 1/2 gallon muratic acid and it is now 7.5. My fc the last 2 nights has been 2.5 to 3.5 ppm as I’m trying to dial in the SWG setting and pump times. I have a core 55 from circupool and have been running it with the vsp pump about 15- 16 hours a day at 75% output. I’ve been slowly raising CYA and thought I was close to 70, but last night test was only 50. I have an auto cover but has been open last 2 days a lot to aid in heating water which is now about 85 degrees. I assume I need to slam again as I must have quit too early before I converted to salt? What do you recommend for fc slam levels since I’m now salt but my cya is Actually not high enough. Trying to figure out how much liquid chlorine to get as I ran out and closet supplier is an hour away. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

When did you last add the CYA? Recently? How much did you add and how did you add it? If you are confident it is fully dissolved and your CYA is 50 then your slam level is 20. It's going to take 5-6 gallons to get there initially and enough to maintain that level throughout slam. You don't want to raise your CYA to 70 if you need to slam anyways wait until the slam is complete and then get it where you want it for your SWG.

For those of us in the upper half of the US, 50/60 CYA works very well when it’s not the middle of August. IMHO it should be a sliding scale that goes up with UV index, but like many testing parameters it needs a one size fits all assignment so it can be used with success by everyone. ‘You mileage may vary’

... I’ve been slowly raising CYA and thought I was close to 70, but last night test was only 50...
Was it bright sunlight when you "tested" your CYA? The CYA test is actually a visual reflection test result, not a chemical color change result...

Consistent bright, indirect lighting is best for CYA testing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.