Convert Softswim to Chlorine

wags

Jul 13, 2010
Tired of spending the money for Softswim just to see it disappear. I currently have the following conditions.
Softswim B - 30
Softswim C - 0
PH - 7.6
TA - 113
TH - 247

Is it easier to convert if I let the "B" level reach 0 or I am looking at monitoring the chlorine levels for several days?

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Welcome to TFP!

Yes, it is a little easier to convert if your get the Softswim B level down to zero before you start, however it isn't critical that you do that. Either way, you will be monitoring chlorine levels for several days during the conversion.

wags

Jul 13, 2010
Thanks. Since I am will be new to using the bleach, do I need stabilizer and eventually clarifiers? If so what is the best to use?

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
You will eventually need stabilizer, but not until your conversion is complete. See this article at Pool School for complete conversion instructions.

We don't normally recommend the use of clarifiers.

wags

Jul 13, 2010
I have green, I used a granular shock ("Calcium Hypochlorite" which I would not recommend now), will it hurt to use Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) to finish the process??

wags

Jul 13, 2010
OK, based on the pool calculator I added the amount of bleach to inrease the PPM to 15, after 30 minutes the test strip showed "0". Not sure how you can keep it at 15ppm. Will it take considerably longer only adding the bleach at night or should I just keep adding during the day for this weekend?

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
SWSuburban Chicago, IL
At the beginning the bleach is consumed very rapidly. You can test and add as often as hourly. Then towards the end of the conversion you can switch to just evenings/a.m.

I'd hit it hard this weekend if you have the time - you'll finish faster that way.

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
You want to adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.4 near the start when the FC level is at or at least near zero. After that the PH is normally stable enough that you can ignore it.

wags

Jul 13, 2010
Only took 3 days and my pool is clear. Since then I have added bleach but can not keep the levels up. I added 4 lbs of stabilizer on Tuesday night, strips say 30-50 on stabilizer, still losing chlorine. Do I need to keep the chlorine at 3 all the time? How often do I need to shock?

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
If you are having problems maintaining an FC level at night, you haven't finished the conversion yet. Everyone always loses chlorine during the day (though you should only be losing about 50% of your starting level each day).

Other Threads of Interest