Convert Softswim to Chlorine

wags

Jul 13, 2010
Tired of spending the money for Softswim just to see it disappear. I currently have the following conditions.
Softswim B - 30
Softswim C - 0
PH - 7.6
TA - 113
TH - 247

Is it easier to convert if I let the "B" level reach 0 or I am looking at monitoring the chlorine levels for several days?

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, it is a little easier to convert if your get the Softswim B level down to zero before you start, however it isn't critical that you do that. Either way, you will be monitoring chlorine levels for several days during the conversion.

OK, based on the pool calculator I added the amount of bleach to inrease the PPM to 15, after 30 minutes the test strip showed "0". Not sure how you can keep it at 15ppm. Will it take considerably longer only adding the bleach at night or should I just keep adding during the day for this weekend?

At the beginning the bleach is consumed very rapidly. You can test and add as often as hourly. Then towards the end of the conversion you can switch to just evenings/a.m.

I'd hit it hard this weekend if you have the time - you'll finish faster that way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Only took 3 days and my pool is clear. Since then I have added bleach but can not keep the levels up. I added 4 lbs of stabilizer on Tuesday night, strips say 30-50 on stabilizer, still losing chlorine. Do I need to keep the chlorine at 3 all the time? How often do I need to shock?

If you are having problems maintaining an FC level at night, you haven't finished the conversion yet. Everyone always loses chlorine during the day (though you should only be losing about 50% of your starting level each day).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.