Convert main drain to return?

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I am going to be changing my pump this week and I've decided to redo the above ground plumbing. Right now on the suction side I have a 1.5" line for the skimmer, a 1.5" line for the dedicated vacuum port, and a 2" line for the main drain. Currently these all connect into one single 1.5" line going into the pump.

On the return side, above ground, I only have one 1.5" return. There are three return jets around the pool though. I don't know how far into the run back to the pool it splits off.

I pretty much keep the main drain shut and keep the skimmer and vacuum port open. I was going to redo the suction side plumbing to be all 2" above ground going straight into my new pump. It got me thinking if it would be a good idea to turn the main drain into a return. That way I would have 2x 1.5" suction lines and 1x 1.5" and 1x 2" return lines. It could easily be undone since it's all above ground.

It sounds a little crazy even to me. Opinions?

It technically will work. It might disrupt your surface flow to your skimmer. Is your skimmer near your main drain?

OK. So should not disrupt the skimmer action.

I cannot think of any large downsides. But you should wait for some others to chime in tomorrow.

Take care.

Reversing the flow is doable, I have done it in the past.

A national chain builder also does it by default. (National chain doesn’t mean best practice.)

As far as the skimmer, depending on its placement the surface tension is nicely broken by returning to the floor & skimming is kicked up a notch.

I see your in Florida, so I presume your MD is in a sump with a hydrostatic relief valve.

If so, I’d be very cautious about executing this plan or skip it all together.

The hydrostatic valve will be in direct line with the new return port in the sump & easily nudge the hydrostatic valve open.

Reversing the flow is doable, I have done it in the past.

A national chain builder also does it by default. (National chain doesn’t mean best practice.)

As far as the skimmer, depending on its placement the surface tension is nicely broken by returning to the floor...

I see your in Florida, so I presume your MD is in a sump with a hydrostatic relief valve.

If so, I’d be very cautious about executing this plan or skip it all together.

The hydrostatic valve will be in direct line with the new return port in the sump & easily nudge the hydrostatic valve open.
Hmm, is there anyway to verify that? The pool was built in the late 80's, but was probably resurfaced within the past 8 yeaes and the drain cover looks like it's pretty new. Aside from cosmetics I don't think it was changed since it was built. Otherwise I know nothing of its construction or history!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.