Convert from Gunnite to Vinyl Liner?

From my cynical mind: if "He" would have to sub-contract, or turn over to another, the plaster repair, but can do (and better profit from) the liner option himself...

I think a consumer is allowed to ask such questions, though more politely than I would, perhaps. Definitely a multi-bid situation.

I would ask all prospective contractors, in terms of the various repair options, what their capabilities are, and if they can offer, in-house, more than one solution, what their experience is with each type. If you find a contractor equally experienced in providing more than one solution, their advice about which would be more appropriate might be more credible than advice from a contractor that only knows how to do one type of repair. Sorry to be so negative, but that is the world in which we live...

Reactions: leanna251
Dirk that is a great question but I don't know for sure. Sure seems like it though. Gut says yes with nothing to back it up.

HOW???

Good job getting someone else to head that way! Keep us up on what THEY have to say!

Kim:kim:
The guy who came today said he can patch the crack for under $100. Then when I’m ready to staple and replaster it’d be about $5-6K. He can’t do that part, but he knows someone who can. He agreed that it would be ridiculous to put a liner over it!

• Love
Reactions: kimkats and borjis
I watched the staple video. That's pretty cool. I would love a Franken-pool look but my wife thinks otherwise. Joking aside, $100 sounds too cheap and you may get what you pay for in this case. Did he give specifics on how? What was the longevity estimation? If you haven't see this thread, it's very informative on what a plaster repair SHOULD look like. The underlying issue is different but the plaster repair should be very similar IMO.

For $100 he's probably talking about applying epoxy filler as a temporary patch just to stop the leaking. I'd say that's about right. Then when you get ready to have it fixed permanently they'll chip out the plaster and temporary epoxy and repair the shell and replaster the entire pool.

The guy who came today said he can patch the crack for under $100. Then when I’m ready to staple and replaster it’d be about $5-6K. He can’t do that part, but he knows someone who can. He agreed that it would be ridiculous to put a liner over it!
leanna251, please fill in your signature...

If "$5-6K" includes re-plastering the whole pool (especially if they chip out all the old plaster), as opposed to just patching the areas they staple, that sounds like a fair price. Just do that and put this behind you. You'll have a brand new pool, fixed, and the plaster should outlast a liner.

To re-plaster my 12K gal pool, with full chip out, was $5500 (here in CA).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.