Conversion FC & CC Readings Help!! With Pics!

Thanks Jason for the break down of the various steps.... Last night I topped it off before bed and this morning there was a total of zero..... I topped it off before work and this evening it was again zero.... I just topped it off and will check it throughout the evening.....

I ordered the correct test kit on Saturday and hope it will be here tomorrow or Wednesday.....

So other than continuing to test and add.... is there anything else I need to be doing?

Day 4 - - 6 AM

I just checked the pool and the water is pretty clear..... the chlorine was at 5.... Not quite where it should be, but at least there was some chlorine left from overnight ..... I just topped it back off and will check it this evening when I get home..... :-D

Looking good!

You didn't lose all of your FC overnight, so you are into the second stage. During the second stage, the remaining baquacil is turning into goo and is oxidizing more slowly. You will be losing more FC to sunlight than gets used fighting the baquacil. For maximum speed of conversion you can continue adding bleach all day, but it will use significantly less total chlorine to only add bleach in the evening.

I got home from work around 6 this evening and checked the pool.... There FC was 0, and TC was less than 5.... pH is 7.2.... I topped off the chlorine again and will check again before bed tonight....

Thanks Jason for letting me know I am in stage 2.... How long does stage 2 last?

The second stage normally takes about two to four days, but it has been much longer for a few people and almost instant for a few. You want the FC level to remain the same overnight. When that happens you can move on to the final stage.

Day five AM

This morning the reading was 5, same as yesterday morning.... I topped it off and will check it again this evening when I get home.... I just checked my UPS tracking number and my good test kit will be here today, so tonight I'll be able to have more accurate readings......

Day 6

Last night when I got home from work I had received my FAS DPD test kit! I was able to get accurate readings and topped off the chlorine as needed throughout the evening. The test kit made an incredible difference :-D

This morning when I checked the levels at 6 AM they were:

FC 15 PPM
CC .5 PPM

This afternoon when I got home from work they were:

FC 6 PPM
CC .2 PPM

Being that it held 15 PPM over night I think that puts me at Stage 3.... I am going to change my filter cartridge and move onto adjusting the levels accordingly....

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is wonderful!

All you need to do is change the filter cartridge and add CYA. You should keep an eye on the CC level for several days. If it climbs above 0.5 you will need to bring the pool back to shock level for a day or two. Some people have this happen a couple of times, for others it never happens.

Day 6 Evening

I changed the filter cartridge, started adding the CYA, along with a little bit of bleach. The pool water is crystal clear, it never looked like this with baquagoop. The only thing that happned during the conversion, that I partly expected, was the liner faded a bit due to all the bleach.

I'll do another test in a bit and post those readings....... It is good to finally be in Stage 3!

Thanks Jason and frustratedpoolmom for all the great advice and tips..... :-D We're almost there!

Day 7 - Evening

This morning I tested and the CYA was zero after having added 64 ounces of the liquid last night via the skimmer. pH was 7.4... Alkalinity was 120.... and CH was 170.... FC was 1.6 and CC was less than 0.2...

I added more bleach and let the system run....

This evening I just did a test and the readings are:

CYA - getting a little better... I can still see the black dot in the bottom of the vial.
pH - 7.6
FC - 1.6
CC - less than 0.2

Does it take time for the CYA to dissolve in the system? Will my readings get stronger as the CYA dissolve?

Liquid stabilizer should have registered by now..... that is puzzling

Where did you purchase it? Do you trust the supplier/store? Very odd....

I purhcased it at Leslie's Pools.... I do trust the supplier/store.... I have purchased a lot of my pool stuff from them....

I am curious too why it isn't registering yet....

What should I do?

64 oz of liquid stabilizer would raise the CYA level by just over 20 in 7600 gallons. The standard CYA test can read values up to 20 as if they were zero sometimes. I would add another 32 oz of liquid stabilizer, which should get you to just over 30.

64 oz of liquid stabilizer would raise the CYA level by just over 20 in 7600 gallons. The standard CYA test can read values up to 20 as if they were zero sometimes. I would add another 32 oz of liquid stabilizer, which should get you to just over 30.

Thanks Jason.... I'm going to go do that right now......

Day 8 AM

Last night I added more CYA and this morning my readings were as follows:

CYA - 50 PPM
FC - 3.0
CC - 2.2

I am happy to see the CYA went up and I now need to balance out alkalinity and calcium hardness....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.