Control pool pump with Smart Life or IFTTT app (no hub required)

scboyd99

Jun 15, 2019
manchester, NH
So I have been reading over all of the threads out there on how to control your pool pump from your smartphone. There are people out there that are a lot smarter than I am putting these things together but I can't build an app or program a raspberry pi. So this post is how to remotely control your pool pump or pool cleaner pump (the real reason I did this) with a 120V smart switch and a relay.

I was not able to find a reasonability prices 220V smart switch. The pool pump manufactures all want several hundred dollars of investment for their solution. but this solution is about $135

In simple terms, it works like this: Power from breaker box---> 110V to smart switch & 220V to timmer---> timmer leader to 120 AC Coil 40 Amp 250 VAC relay & smart switch to the coil side of relay---> pump motor.

Parts needed:
1X $35- GE outdoor breaker (TL412R1P)
2x $30- DPDT 120 AC Coil 40 Amp 250 VAC (PC740-2C-C3-120A)
2x $20- Smart Wi-Fi Switch In-Wall (ks-602)

Pull the timmer out of the current box and mount it in the new GE outdoor box
Mount the relays in the new GE outdoor box
Wire the relay for normally closed (NC) so when the time turns on the pumps come on.
Wire the switches to always have power
Wire the salt generator directly to timmer
Make sure the cleaner pump supply leads come off the primary pump load lines. That way if you shut off the primary pump the cleaner pump shuts off too.
The switches take up most of the box so you will need a box extender

When you turn the switches on from the app the pull the relays to the open position hence turning off the pump(s).

In the picture, I have the change the one blue wire from coming off the timmer to come off the load side of the pump relay. The relay to the right is the main pump relay.

Download the Smart Life app and connect the switch to the app on a 2.4 wireless network.

Attachments

• New Timer Box.jpg
    New Timer Box.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 26
  • New Timmer Box and Switch.jpg
    New Timmer Box and Switch.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 26
I did something similar to yours. Leveraged the available smart switches to save me from having to learn about the raspberry pi stuff. I'm also trusting the leviton cyber security folks to keep me safe. I figured a big name brand would have a decent handle on security.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.