Contractor forgot to grout around tile - pool already filled

Aug 16, 2018
NJ
We have a 14x32' gunite inground pool with a 7x7' spillover spa. We let the gunite shell cure over the winter, and one of the tiles popped off. Our contractor said: "no big deal - we'll replace it." He did. But he forgot to grout around that particular tile. It is on the corner of the spa, where the corner juts into the pool. Photo here (of the corner, not the tile itself - last night's rain made the water level too high to get a pic of the tile).

We filled the pool 2 months ago and introduced salt two weeks ago. Haven't introduced heat yet. I noticed that the grout was missing yesterday.

How big a deal is it that water has been in direct contact with the gunite in that spot for 2 months? Should we drain the water level to below that tile until he fixes it?
Thanks

Not a big deal. When is the PB coming to grout it?

Drain it down when he comes to grout. Find out how long the grout has to cure before you can raise the water level.

Personally I'd drain it down a bit before he comes to make sure its all dry behind those tiles before the grout is applied. No citation or clue if that is recommended but it feels like it should be?

Maddie :flower:

Maddie, grout is a mixture of water, cement, and sand. If a surface is a bit wet when grout is applied the grout just absorbs the water. Like cement, grout hardens through a chemical process even when wet. Grout hardens to a water proof surface. There are even pool grouts you can use underwater.

I was thinking of water behind the tiles getting stuck there when the grout was applied. Would water behind tiles risk their adherence?

Maddie :flower:

No. She is going to drain down the pool before the grouting. At mosr some areas may be damp. That dampness will be absorbed by the grout or gunnite.

Grout hardens to a water proof surface.

Grout cures to a water inert substance. Not water proof.

Grout is porous and water will migrate through it. That is one of the reasons you need to put a waterproof membrane in your shower. Even with tile and grout, water will get through the grout lines.

Maybe that is what you meant when you said waterproof, but many people seem to think that if they cover something with grout, water is not going to get past it.

While not a pool reference, I happen to like the Floor Elf, he has some very good advice and insights.

https://floorelf.com/tile-is-not-waterproof

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.