Contractor accused of taking more than $1M from families, leaving projects unfinished

red-beard

Gold Supporter
May 27, 2019
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
This is just reported on the news today in the Houston area. Very sad for all of those people.

A man contracted to build pools in Montgomery County is accused of stealing more than $1.5 million from more than a dozen families, leaving them with unfinished work in their backyards.

Montgomery County Attorney’s Office charged Mark Mills, 56, with aggregate theft of more than $300,000.

KPRC 2 Investigates was there as law enforcement arrested Mills at his San Jacinto County home on Monday.

Reactions: HermanTX
On the Houston, TX news this evening, St. Croix Custom Pools, was being investigated on pending charges of theft. The owner is accused of taking over $1MM from homeowners on unfinished pools in Montgomery County (which is a county north of the city of Houston). He could not be reached for comment. The news showed several homeowners with gunite only pools, broken plumbing pipes, no equipment, etc. Something that may take thousands of more $$$ to complete by another PB, if they can find one.

Thought this be a good reference case for new homeowners who are starting out to contract a new pool.

They should
1) do good reviews of their potential PBs,
2) review the contract in detail,
3) hold back 10% (or more) of the total payment till completion

There are times I wish our pool was one we built because there are things I would absolutely change but then I read stories like this or the nightmares people post in Under Construction and I'm glad we have an already existing, basic vinyl liner pool.

Reactions: borjis and RonsPlc
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.