Construction problem

McQ67

Sep 4, 2019
North Dallas
Seeking advice. My PB put the pool in the ground three inches lower than it was supposed to be. This is a big deal because the coping is at the same elevation as my patio, which was supposed to get the same Tex Mat concrete as my pool decking. Everything would have been at the same elevation. My pool sits 7 feet from the edge of my patio. This would leave a three inch drop in elevation in approximately a 6 foot distance. The only option is to now go with a thinner material for my patio, which is part of my house slab. Option one, is to go to a travertine tile on my patio and match it with a travertine paver for the decking. Downside is travertine is a cost up and my pool builder won’t absorb the cost

Option 2, my PB is going to use an overlay on my patio. He says it will closely match the Tex Mat decking.

Pool is a $130K project. My guess is that he is making good money. My guess is that what would be $8,000 in travertine at a sell, would cost him $6,000. I was going to offer up $2,000 to put towards the travertine because it is nicer than what was originally planned, and an attorney would cost more.

thank you for any advice

jay

That sucks. Where are you at on the construction? Have they already put in the plumbing and coping? If not, I wonder if they could raise the coping height by 3".

Could they put in a small step down from your existing patio? Will he remove the existing patio as an option?

Definitely not someone you should be dealing with on a pool that expensive, especially if it was not caught by the PB until later stages. Good luck.

Thank you. Technically they could rip the coping off, dowel in to the pool add a layer of rebar then raise it up. They would have to pull and re tile. This is what makes me mad. The fix would cost them $$$. All I did was ask that they pick up the up charge on the travertine. I have approx 975 sq feet. When he originally costed it as it was an option, it was $8,500 with his markup on materials, labor and margin.

If you are that far along, I would put a small step off the existing patio and have the PB eat the cost for the travertine.

If you look at my build thread below, we did travertine pavers on top of our existing patio last week and like the look. Like you, we had some exposed foundation between the patio and brick, so the topper didnt cover up weep holes, doors, etc.

If you are that far along, I would put a small step off the existing patio and have the PB eat the cost for the travertine.

If you look at my build thread below, we did travertine pavers on top of our existing patio last week and like the look. Like you, we had some exposed foundation between the patio and brick, so the topper didnt cover up weep holes, doors, etc.
Thank you. We were disappointed because our patio sofa was going to be pushed out on the that area. I also have a big green egg that I move out just outside my overhang which is why when we did this that I had asked for everything to be on the same elevation. I am going to offer $2,000 to keep this from getting ugly. His cost to fix the pool elevation would be high. I am also asking for Lein Releases from his subs. If he goes back on the excavation company I don’t want any Lein’s

Two realistic options as I see it.

1. Rip out the coping and raise the pool wall 3".
2. Put in about 6' of decking at the level of the pool and then a step up to the patio level.

For $130,000, I would probably want #1 (and on his dime).

Ugggg.. How can you set a ???? Thousand dollar pool shell without double checking the grades and then how can you install ???? Thousand dollars worth of tile and coping without double checking the grades especially when they are critical.

Have you checked your pool depth? Did he cheat you out of 3" of water as well?

It also sounds like there is more than 3" to deal with. You will need to slope the new patio away from the pool slightly. We're they planning on a drain?

For $130,000, I would probably want #1 (and on his dime)

I would agree ...

One option I have not seen mentioned yet is to simply put tile on the existing patio and install the Tex Mat as planned. You are going to need a expansion joint where the two meet no matter what surfaces you use. So you could add a boarder and make it into a separate space. It looks like the existing patio is all under the overhang so making it its own space might actually look better.

Just curious.. What is 'Tex Mat concrete' ? Google did not help much.. :scratch:

I had a similar situation recently but actually the opposite, the pool ended up 3” higher than expected and they had to rip part of my existing patio to make the slope and add the channel drain. I didnt pay a single buck.. Travertine pavers are 3cm but you should account for 1/2” mortar or sand over concrete depending on install method. Your travertine idea sounds good, they made the mistake they should fix it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have stamped drawings the elevation and numbers are on the plan with the benchmark. Not meeting those measurements is a breach of contract. You are in a tough spot depending on your contract details. If you have a lawyer you know who wont BS you have him read it. If you have any recourse you could eat the fix you want now and go after him later for repayment so he doesn't screw you with the rest if the build. Hes making good $$ on your build and he messed up. Elevations are checked almost daily when building and the benchmark never changes its an immovable item

If you have stamped drawings the elevation and numbers are on the plan with the benchmark. Not meeting those measurements is a breach of contract. You are in a tough spot depending on your contract details. If you have a lawyer you know who wont BS you have him read it. If you have any recourse you could eat the fix you want now and go after him later for repayment so he doesn't screw you with the rest if the build. Hes making good $$ on your build and he messed up. Elevations are checked almost daily when building and the benchmark never changes its an immovable item
Thanks for help and advice. Basically I told them we wanted to go to a travertine tile for the patio and pavers for the decking. We offered up $2,000 and the pool
Company is taking care of the rest. Spoke to an attorney and ripping out the coping comes with environmental issues apparently with regard to scrap. Long story attorney said it was a good offer on my part. What was going to be an $8,900 + upgrade will cost me $2K.

Ugggg.. How can you set a ???? Thousand dollar pool shell without double checking the grades and then how can you install ???? Thousand dollars worth of tile and coping without double checking the grades especially when they are critical.

Have you checked your pool depth? Did he cheat you out of 3" of water as well?

It also sounds like there is more than 3" to deal with. You will need to slope the new patio away from the pool slightly. We're they planning on a drain?

I would agree ...

One option I have not seen mentioned yet is to simply put tile on the existing patio and install the Tex Mat as planned. You are going to need a expansion joint where the two meet no matter what surfaces you use. So you could add a boarder and make it into a separate space. It looks like the existing patio is all under the overhang so making it its own space might actually look better.

Just curious.. What is 'Tex Mat concrete' ? Google did not help much.. :scratch:

Sorry it stands for Textured Material I guess. Textured concrete. Lol I thought it was a material as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.