constant residue on pool bottom

BR1

Jun 20, 2020
NY
24' 52" or 54" wall Above ground about 9 years old now. last fall the problem started where I would vacuum and within hours the residue would show up again. it starts showing up on the far side of the pool opposite of the return/intake. its a very light brown almost white, believe to be dead algae. I thought it was sand, it is not. I put socks on the skimmer basket, they catch a ton of stuff and get clogged within a couple days. Lots of sun, no trees. Alkalinity is 120, pH is 7.5-7.8 on the test block, cya is 45, FC is 5-7 consistent (i use liquid chlorine). I did SLAM for 3 days of 20FC. is this a filter issue? This morning when i shut the pump off to remove the skimmer sock, a lot of white cloudy water in the skimmer due to the disturbance. when i turned pump back on, a lot of cloudiness came out of the return jet. please advise.

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. Read the article. With a CYA of 50, your SLAM level FC is 20 ppm. Maintain that until you pass the three criteria. With dead algae in the pool, you do not have crystal clear water.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: It sounds as if at some point you recently had algae and tried to clear it with a 3-day SLAM Process. But we need to confirm, did you actually pass all 3 SLAM criteria? If not, the SLAM Process was never truly completed, so the debris you are seeing can still be algae-related, either live or dead algae. The problem is usually a chemistry issue and not the filter. It would help us to know more about your pool by updating your signature with all of your pool and equipment info.

Will do the SLAM again, but passed all 3 criteria last time. The water is pretty clear. there was no algae, I did the SLAM because of the dead stuff on the bottom. Appears that if SLAM was done correctly, then there would be nothing on the bottom? I test with the tf-100 kit, 4-5 times a day during the day for FC during SLAM, on third night/fourth morning tested with 1 FC loss overnight. I will start the process over again. Can the pool be used at all during the 20FC? its 85+ degrees here and i may get beat up by the kids. I did do the sand filter cleaning today. it was nasty. it felt like there was a hard crust 2/3 of the way down in the sand and i had to push the hose through it. it took me over an hour to get it to run clear and no debris/particles coming up.

Attachments

• IMG_8896 (1).JPG
    IMG_8896 (1).JPG
    654.1 KB · Views: 12
By the way. This is the best site I have ever been to on the interweb for this stuff. Everyone says to use chlorine tablets. Last year I found this site and stopped using them. They seem to be totally a way to sell more product....the more you use them, the more of them you need to use.

The sand cleaning may help alot.

You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

Reactions: BR1
wanted to update. I did an overnight FC loss the day i cleaned the filter out. still no loss so did not do another SLAM. I have not had the dead algae/residue problem since I did the filter cleaning. I think the sand may have had that channeling problem where stuff just wasn't being filtered.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.