Constant Backwashing

Flange is about 6” down and roughly the diameter of the top opening. I’d rather not start disassembling. Filter is draining now. Thought maybe shop vac for loose stuff and chunks will have to be by hand. Does that sound logical?

Attachments

• 7F574ACE-1DF9-4B77-9BAF-BE2F7ABDE176.jpeg
    7F574ACE-1DF9-4B77-9BAF-BE2F7ABDE176.jpeg
    454.2 KB · Views: 14
  • A6FBCDAC-B597-4974-BD56-2AEE78407D5A.jpeg
    A6FBCDAC-B597-4974-BD56-2AEE78407D5A.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 14
So tell me if I'm right here, but your challenge is that you have a side-mount that is glued into PVC pipes with no unions to remove. You can only remove the MPV union nuts on the filter so far correct? Then you are stuck? You need that MPV out of the way so your sand cleaning has a way to spill out? Or get it all the way off so you can change that sand?

Not really Earl. A ShopVac seems to be a common approach. Just take it slow and in stages until you get to the bottom. If you get all the sand out and clean everything up with all parts serviceable, you shouldn't need to remove the MPV which is a good thing. If you ever have to remove the MPV, it will probably need to be cut off of the white PVC then reattached - with unions next time. :)

Well my new friends, the sand in the filter has been replaced. Whats missing from the pic is the 2 buckets of actual sand. Ended up being about 2” of sand on the top of the filter & 4” at the bottom of the filter..... I’m really starting to wonder wonder if any enjoyment actually comes from owning a pool, or you all are a bunch of masochist’s!! If there is an upside, the “good sand” at the bottom protected the laterals. And I didn’t break anything else busting out the concrete! Zea3, I took your advice and ordered the HTH sand.

Attachments

• D1F42507-E0B5-4CA4-A7F3-18ECF5A29E17.jpeg
    D1F42507-E0B5-4CA4-A7F3-18ECF5A29E17.jpeg
    704.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Wow
Reactions: Apsuhead and zea3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well my new friends, the sand in the filter has been replaced. Whats missing from the pic is the 2 buckets of actual sand. Ended up being about 2” of sand on the top of the filter & 4” at the bottom of the filter..... I’m really starting to wonder wonder if any enjoyment actually comes from owning a pool, or you all are a bunch of masochist’s!! If there is an upside, the “good sand” at the bottom protected the laterals. And I didn’t break anything else busting out the concrete! Zea3, I took your advice and ordered the HTH sand.
If that isn't a perfect example of why we shouldn't be using "magic in a bottle", then I don't know what is. I've never seen a sand filter harden that way! I think you will be surprised when you get the new sand in there and get your water levels straightened out.

The members at TFP really helped me last year as we had bought our home in January and uncovered a mess when we took the cover off. You will be enjoying your pool soon enough and as Texas said, you're building memories!

Reactions: Earl74
Sorry TFP friends, I haven’t updated in awhile. After replacing the sand the pool cleaned up like magic!! Crystal clear keeping up with normal tests and using the cya/chlorine chart. Thanks so much for all the help you’ve given me in this process!! I couldn’t of done it without you!! 50B3CFDD-4966-4576-B366-A2A453516E54.jpeg

Good to hear Earl. Enjoy. :swim:

full

Reactions: Earl74
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.