LifeTime Supporter
Jul 22, 2010
Advance, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just a little over a year ago, we bought a house that had an in-ground pool and was filled in. Turns out the POs filled it in to help sell the house as they said people complained they wanted more back yard, as this one took up the entire back yard (pix below). I don't have a lot of info on the pool yet, still trying to find that out, but we are contemplating a dig-out restoration. Fully aware this will likely cost about $20k or maybe more, who knows. My best guess so far is it was filled in about 4 years ago and was a vinyl liner pool (not my favorite, had one of those). I don't yet know the age of the pool, but the home is 1988. I also don't yet know for sure, but my suspicion is they pulled all the concrete deck and dumped that into the pool then filled the rest with whatever. I stuck a shovel in the ground where the deck should be and fine nothing hard, so that's why I think they did that. We are in NC and it's mostly red clay soil. As you can see, the yard is Crud anyway and I need to rototill it up and replant so not much loss if I do start digging and give up. As you can see from the pool pix, it was a pretty nice pool., It looks to be a consistent depth and probably not over 4 feet is my guess.

We had a really nice pool in WA state where you don't really need one, and here in NC where we could use it for many more months of the year, it is tempting, but a large undertaking for sure. Aside from this location, there's not a better spot for a pool, if someone suggests abandoning this spot in favor of another. We are also considering an above ground just to be easy. Still possible, but there are currently no pools to be had anywhere it seems, though I fully grasp this will take months to complete if undertaken.

Backyard.JPEGPool 1.JPGPool 2.JPGPool 3.JPG

We have had quite a few threads about buried pools and some being brought back to life. Here is a recent one...

I think you have to begin digging and see what you discover. Progress reports and pics are always appreciated.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.