Confused

Jun 22, 2008
I have a 20,000 in ground pool with a dual speed pump, UV ozonator and 3" tab inline chlorinator. Pool is 4 weeks old today.

I am starting to get how to maintain the pool, but have a question about the difference between the chlorinator and adding chlorine. Should I maintain the chlorine levels using the chlorinator or by adding liquid chlorine?

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the info on the chlorine pool school. I didn't realize the diff types of chlorine could have diff affects. Right now I have been using mainly liquid chlorine to get level up. I also have a floater with pucks in it right now. I will have to keep an eye on the CYA level. Also, we have the powdered "shock it" type stuff.

I believe we will stick with the liquid chlorine for a while.

One question....our pool store is out of "conditioner" and said they won't get anymore till next year?? This sounds odd. Any suggestions on what I should do if I need more CYA??

Aramei

If the powdered shock you have is dichlor (not cal-hypo) it also has cyanuric acid (stabilizer, conditioner) in it. Look and see if it says stabilized on it. Also, I can't remember the full name of dichlor, but see if the name of the product has dichlor as part of the name.

Ok, thanks for the info, so the obvious question is why does my pool builder tell me that i should refill the chlorinator with pucks every week as well as add liquid chlorine? should I be phasing out the chlorinator use?

Also, My CC levels have stayed at 0 since i filled the pool up, i am told that an ozone system will keep CC way down. Do I need to shock the pool ever if my CC levels are null all the time?

Sausage said:
Ok, thanks for the info, so the obvious question is why does my pool builder tell me that i should refill the chlorinator with pucks every week as well as add liquid chlorine? should I be phasing out the chlorinator use?

Also, My CC levels have stayed at 0 since i filled the pool up, i am told that an ozone system will keep CC way down. Do I need to shock the pool ever if my CC levels are null all the time?

Hey there....

No, a properly balanced and maintained pool does not require routine shocking. Shock your pool if your cc's climb above .5.

You don't need to use the pucks. Who knows why he told you that. They raise your CYA (read about that, it's important) and lower your PH. It's fine to use the auto chlorinator when you are going on vacation or something like that. A bit of bleach each day or every other day is all that's required as far as chlorine. I usually go for the "target" level, adding bleach every other evening, never letting the chlorine go below the "minimum" - I test every day with the OTO test to make sure my target/minimum levels are there.

Auto chlorinators work for some people, people who have a problem with high ph from a source of aeration, for example, people who need the convience, and people who do keep an eye on CYA so it doesn't get too high. CYA can occasionally be monitored and kept in range with frequent backwashing on the filter. If your filter is backwashed. My cartridge filter is not backwashed and I had problems resulting from CYA 100+ for several years.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.