Confused on CC/FC

thadius65 said:
or turn SWG on to what %? Super Chlorinate?

Seems like you are covered, but wanted to note that if you pool water is in the 50s ... the SWG will not likely even turn on to generate FC. I think the water needs to be > 60 or 65 before it will start to function.

And "super chlorinate" will not generate enough FC to shock a pool and it will work you SWG cell more than it needs to be ... stick with bleach.

Feeling better now:

PH - 7.4
FC 10.2
CC - 0
TA - 110
CYA - 70
Calcium Hardness - 170*
Borate - 50
Salt - 3500

I for the life of me cannot get a calcium hardness reading. My R12 must not be any good? I will stick with 170 from pool store* for now.

Will be ordering one soon.

Question on my readings today. Water is 84F (thanks to gas and warm sun):

As indicated, I have a 19k gallon IGP with a Hayward SWG system with a T-Cell-15. I run pump 12 hours high, 12 hours low (Hayward 1hp super). I have the chlorinate level at 5% and my FC is still high. Numbers as follows:

11.8 - FC
0 - CC
7.4 - PH
100 - TA
50 - CYA

It doesn's seem FC ever wants to go below 8-10%. Thoughts? Lower to a number below 5%?

Thanks,

Ted

The cheapest solution is to stop running you pump 24/7 unless you can separately turn the SWG on and off so it is not generating all day. Is there a reason you need the pump on all day?

Posted with Tapatalk 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not really needed. People generally shoot for 1-2 turn overs per day which is a function of you pool size and flow rate. Some run on low speed 24/7 and only use high speed for vacuuming / etc. Your problem sounds like the SWG is always on with the pump and it does not care what speed your pump is.

You can try backing the SWG even more, otherwise you will need to stop running the pump so much or add a different timer on the SWG.

Posted with Tapatalk 2

Appreciate the feedback. In regards to a different timer on the SWG, that does not look possible. The Hayward Pro Logic (PL-PS-8) has the salt cell attached via a proprietary cable. Also, there is no setting for timer based, only % based. Lowest is 5% and in increments up to Super Chlorinate. I just talked to Hayward and they had similar filter reduction suggestion. I will first try the low all the time, then if that doesn't do it, will only run filter part of the day/night.

Update - tried it on 2% (which is really 5% due to min setting) for past 4 days. Also ran filter on low 24x7. FC is still 10 (CC is 0). It is hard to believe that a ProLogic Pl-PS-8 does not have the ability to set a timer to the salt cell. I guess I will now need to try less than 24 hour filter setting. Actually Hayward said the speed of the pump will not matter on output of chlorine.

Wondering if the AquaConnect kit would allow timer based macro's on the PC to do certain functions - like set chlorine to 0% from X-AM to X-PM? Will need to research.

I assume you mean your FC is 10.0 (not the CC).

I am not really following why you feel the need to leave the pump on all the time. I would say a majority of pool owners run their pumps less than 12 hours per day and are just fine.

I set the chlorine to 0% for 24 hours and had a drop of FC form 10 to 9 (CC still 0). I will continue to let it drop to proper and then begin partial day pump action at 5%. I must say the water is sparkling! Probably only pool in Central PA open with 83F water. Feels good. Gas heaters rock!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.