Confused...need a little guidance

Clearing up a swamp fully can take a while. This can lead to some wanting to end slam a little prematurely once things clear up reasonably well but that leaves the door open for algae to rear it’s ugly head again sooner rather than later. If you recently had clear or almost clear water at elevated fc levels with this same batch of water this is probably algae that just wasn’t fully eradicated.
I see you have
PoolMath but aren’t recording your logs. Doing so is extremely helpful to others when trying to help you.
Ok, I went by Leslie's Pool store and ha e them test my water. It is way different from my Taylor's test. These is the results.
FC- 12.73
Total- 13.26
PH- 8.3
Alk- 71
Calcium- 168
CYA- 81
Iron- 0
Copper- 0.1
Phosphates- 383
This is way different from my test but the metals surprised me considering I have staining out my return nozzle. I think there testing machine is way off but thought I would share. Any recommendations on a test for metals?

I tried to post a video but I dont know how to size it. When I brush the pool, it pushes a green cloud across the bottom, so I'm saying it's agae not metal's. But how is algae alive after being so high on FC for days now?

Your numbers are spot on for the SLAM. What are your next steps? OCLT, let your FC drift down to ~5 and see if the iron green goes away?

Edit, if you are seeing "poofs" I would do an OCLT and rule out algae. Ideally you can do that tonight. If it is algae, a SLAM can take a week or more so patience is the key. If you pass the OCLT, I would be tempted to stop the SLAM and see if the green goes away at a non-SLAM level FC.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tried to post a video but I dont know how to size it. When I brush the pool, it pushes a green cloud across the bottom, so I'm saying it's agae not metal's. But how is algae alive after being so high on FC for days now?
That sounds like algae to me. How certain are you of your cya results?
Be sure you are following all the steps-
*Doing the test in bright light (preferably outside on a sunny day with your back to the sun)
* tube waist high
* glance don’t stare
* no inbetweens, always round up (dot disappears between 60 & 70 its 70)
You can pour the solution back into the squirty bottle & do the last part of the test again as many times as you need to feel confident in what you see.

Ok. I will do the OCLT test tonight. Will post the results in the morning. As far as the CYA test, I hate that thing. Lol. I'm always do I see it, don't see it. I tested multiple times and got 60 both times. I will test tomorrow in the sunlight. We haven't had sunlight here for two weeks now. Thanks for your help guys. I really do appreciate it.

Ok. I will do the OCLT test tonight. Will post the results in the morning. As far as the CYA test, I hate that thing. Lol. I'm always do I see it, don't see it. I tested multiple times and got 60 both times. I will test tomorrow in the sunlight. We haven't had sunlight here for two weeks now. Thanks for your help guys. I really do appreciate it.
Everyone hates the CYA test and people can really overthink it. If you have a staring contest with it, you will always see the dot. Its just a quick glance and if you cant see the dot, you got it right.

Also on the CYA test, you do not have to retest during a SLAM just the FC.

When I brush the pool, it pushes a green cloud across the bottom, so I'm saying it's agae not metal's.
The "cloud" you brush up is dead algae. Keep brushing it up into the pool water so your filter can pick it up.

The green tint to your pool water is iron precipitate. Deal with it by letting your FC level come down per my earlier post.

There is still some guesswork here but that clear green tint is very likely not algae......it's iron.

Well nothing seems to be on the polyfil except tree debris from the skimmer. The OCLT was at a 1.5 difference on one test. I tested again to make sure and it gave me a 1. So I tested again and it gave me a 1.5. So I'm guessing it failed??

Attachments

• 20230411_100949.jpg
    20230411_100949.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 9
Well nothing seems to be on the polyfil except tree debris from the skimmer. The OCLT was at a 1.5 difference on one test. I tested again to make sure and it gave me a 1. So I tested again and it gave me a 1.5. So I'm guessing it failed??
That’s good news for the iron front. Bad news on the oclt - definitely organics involved. Keep with slam👍🏻

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.