Confused (again)

Oct 7, 2015
Adelaide, Australia
Hi,
These are my latest test results, and I'm worried (and confused) about my CC level and my CSI.
My water is tested at my local pool shop using the "WaterlinkSpin Touch"
I need to slam the pool but I'm having trouble (my maths) with how much chlorine I should be adding to achieve a decent CC level.

Cheers,
John

FC: 11.3
CC: 1.1
PH: 7.3
TA: 57
CH: 243
CYA: 69
Temp: 24
Salt: 5353
CSI: -0.96

I wouldn't rely too much on the store tests. You should get your own fasdpd test kit.

The cc probably isn't accurate. Even if it is, you should be able to increase the fc to about 15 and the cc should disappear in good sunlight.

Once you get a good fasdpd test kit, you can check for cc and do an OCLT to see if you need to do a full SLAM.

Let the pH rise to 7.8 or 7.9 and your csi should be ok. Maybe bump up the TA about 10 ppm.

If you're lowering the pH below 7.8, I recommend that you don't do that.

I wouldn't rely too much on the store tests. You should get your own fasdpd test kit.

The cc probably isn't accurate. Even if it is, you should be able to increase the fc to about 15 and the cc should disappear in good sunlight.

Once you get a good fasdpd test kit, you can check for cc and do an OCLT to see if you need to do a full SLAM.

Let the pH rise to 7.8 or 7.9 and your csi should be ok. Maybe bump up the TA about 10 ppm.

If you're lowering the pH below 7.8, I recommend that you don't do that.

Hi James thanks for the reply.
On my previous test last week my TA was reading 55 and was advised to add some PH buffer and then some acid. Well my TA rose by 2 points but my PH dropped by .4 after the acid.

I agree I do need to get a decent test kit for myself and will be on my shopping list for next summer as we are all but finished for this season. My levels this year have been up and down like a yoyo.

Cheers,
John

those numbers are so dodgy i wouldn't act on them
if they were accurate
ph test false high with fc above 10 so definitely dont add any acid
how much bicarb soda did you add to increase ta by 2, one cup?
your pool shop is taking you for a ride

Hi,
Sorry Aussie I meant to reply to you and then promptly forgot.
Yes, I hear you about being ripped off, and next summer I propose to start testing it again myself, although I do have issues with that as I'm colour blind, so will be involving someone else to do the colour comparisons for me.

I have just had my latest readings.....................I slammed it last week hoping to bring down my CC but it went from 1.1 to 1.8 so I'm doing something really wrong? The pool shop has recommended adding 3.4 Kg of buffer and 952mls of acid and then turning down the SWG for a short time.

FC: 16.1
CC: 1.8
PH: 7.8
TA: 60
CH: 259
CYA: 65
Temp: 24.7
Salt: 5116
CSI: -0.42

Cheers,
John

if those numbers are accurate
i love the pool shop add buffer and then add acid to correct the buffer you just added
you are mistaking slam..Shock Level And MAINTAIN with pool store one time shock
picture slam as a battle where you target with a better force to pool store shock where you drop a nuke and cause as much damage as you fix.
if anything you need more chlorine as evidenced by the cc
do you use a pool cover? as uv light helps to burn off cc, leave it off for now
with the color test most are a dramatic change in color which you should have no trouble with
the exception being ph which you may need some help with

if those numbers are accurate
i love the pool shop add buffer and then add acid to correct the buffer you just added
you are mistaking slam..Shock Level And MAINTAIN with pool store one time shock
picture slam as a battle where you target with a better force to pool store shock where you drop a nuke and cause as much damage as you fix.
if anything you need more chlorine as evidenced by the cc
do you use a pool cover? as uv light helps to burn off cc, leave it off for now
with the color test most are a dramatic change in color which you should have no trouble with
the exception being ph which you may need some help with

No pool cover this season at all. Yes, it's the ph I have issues with the most.

Cheers,
John

Hi,
Sorry Aussie I meant to reply to you and then promptly forgot.
Yes, I hear you about being ripped off, and next summer I propose to start testing it again myself, although I do have issues with that as I'm colour blind, so will be involving someone else to do the colour comparisons for me.

I have just had my latest readings.....................I slammed it last week hoping to bring down my CC but it went from 1.1 to 1.8 so I'm doing something really wrong? The pool shop has recommended adding 3.4 Kg of buffer and 952mls of acid and then turning down the SWG for a short time.

FC: 16.1
CC: 1.8
PH: 7.8
TA: 60
CH: 259
CYA: 65
Temp: 24.7
Salt: 5116
CSI: -0.42

Cheers,
John
I too am color blind (BAD) and thought it would be a problem, its not. The PH test gives me alittle trouble but i get by. The FC drop test, I see baby blue when everyone else sees clear. Trick is a reading up on fading end points and the speed stir light for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.