Configuration of Easytouch, Screenlogic, and Intelliflo VST pump

Jan 18, 2016
Tucson, AZ
I've never really understood how this is set up and works. Is there a good tutorial on configuring the Easytouch/Screenlogic panel and circuits? I don't really understand why under the Screenlogic setup the Pool Low is configured as Pool Circuit, Spa as Spa circuit, Spillway as Spillway but Pool High is a Generic Feature 1.
Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 10.13.29 AM.png

t2b,

Keep in mind that the Circuit Name is just a Name... My name is Jim, but that does not make me a Jim, it is just what people call me.

Your EasyTouch came with 5 Circuits... Pool, Spa, Aux1, Aux2, and Aux3.. You can name those circuit anything you want..

The Circuit Function is used to say that the circuit is "special" and needs to do special things.. That is why your Aux1 Circuit is set to IntelliBrite.. This tells the EasyTouch that you want that relay to act a certain way to control an IntelliBrite light. The fact that the Circuit Name is Lights, means nothing.. it just gives you a visual clue what the circuit does.. It could be named "Dark" , but it will still work the same as it does now.

Aux2 is named Spillway, but what make it control the spillway is that it has a Function of Spillway, not that it is named spillway. This is a waste of a good relay, by the way..)

The general rule is leave the Circuit Function as Generic, unless you have to make it do something special..

Pentair also gave you 8 Feature Circuits.. These are Circuits that do not have a relay.. They can be used to control things like a "Spillway" (hint hint)

They can also be used to control valve positions, and pump speeds, but since they have no relays they can't be used to control thing that need 120 or 240 volts AC power.

If you don't like the Circuit "name", just change it to something you do like.. Just make sure you change it every place it it used.

What is it that you want to do or change??

Thanks,

Jim R.

OK, here is my panel inside. I am not really trying to change anything, just trying to understand how it all works. If it makes sense to change something I'm happy to do so for sure. I will be rewiring the whole thing though, it's WAY too messy IMO.
From what I can tell the spillway does not have a relay associated.

From left to right, the relay's are as follows:
Pool Pump Low/SWG - Lights - Whisperflo(water feature/sheer descents) - unused.
When my pool is on low or spa, I the left relay is energized. When the pool is on high, that same relay is unenergized. That seems confusing to me. Logic would say if that relay supplies the VSP pump with power that it must also be energized when the pool high is activated.

The Breakers are as follows from top to bottom:
VST pump
Whisperflo pump
Lights/panel outlets
Sump Pump/bar power (for the bar area, not on any circuit)

The bottom transformer is for the 12v pool lights

Last edited:
t2b.

In theory, the relay in the upper left is the Pump/Filter relay, then Aux1, Aux2, Aux3.. The Pump/Filter relay will only close when in the Pool mode or the Spa mode.. This is why when you select pool high the relay no longer closes.. I assume pool high is just a way to make the pump run faster, is that correct? If so it is just being used wrong.

A VS pump is never connected to the pump/filter relay.. :scratch: Where do the white and black wires on the load side of the pump/filter relay go???

Do you actually have a spa, or are you just using the Spa functions???

Looks like your "spillway" is not turning on a spillway function at all.. You are just turning on a 2nd pump. Does this drive an actual waterfall, or a spa spillover??

If you will answer my questions, I'll know where to go next with my answers...

Thanks,

Jim R.

The black/white wires on that pump relay turn on the chlorinator. (it's a hayward not controlled directly by the pentair system)
I do have a spa. The "spillway" is when water sucks from the pool and is directed to the spa. This would be a "waterfall" if the spa were elevated.
What the system is calling the water feature is the sheer descents, I mistakenly called this relay waterfall above, I should have called it water feature/SD.

Making some assumptions here then. I have an EasyTouch4 (i don't think it's an 8 but it may be...), the only circuits I can set up that use relays are pool, and the 3 AUX circuits. How would I then set the Spillway feature to not be on an aux circuit, yet do the proper things with the pump speed and spa actuators? Here is my current intelliflo configuration.
Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 1.30.46 PM.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
t2b,

You are using the pump/filter just like you would if you had a Pentair SWCG.. You only give it power when the Pump/Filter relay is closed. This means that when you go into "Pool High" the SWCG is not working..

Is that what you want?? I can't think of any reason to not run the SWCG, if the pump is running, but to each his own..

With all your help, your system makes sense to me now..

What other questions do you have for me??

Thanks,

Jim R.

I would prefer to give the SWG power when it is pool low, pool high, but NOT spa if that is possible. My SWG is plumbed on the pool return and I rely on the flow switch to turn off the chlorinator in SPA mode.
Also, Is there a way to set up Spillway feature so it isn't taking an AUX with an empty relay?

t2b,

To control the Spillover with a Feature circuit, you just go into the circuits setup screen and remove spillway from the Aux 2 Circuit and set it to generic and not used.

Select Feature 2 .. Set Name to "Spillway" (or whatever) and set the function to "Spillway" .. You already have a speed set for spillway.. 3450 seems way too high to me... But, whatever works for you.

That should be it..

Jim R.

I usually only use spillway feature when I use a suction side vacuum. Keeps the infloor from stirring up what I am trying to vacuum out. Since my spa and pool are both water level height, there really isn't much use for the spillway feature.
Thanks and I'll let you know if it works.

So the spillway and Spa and pool features are basically pre-programmed macros in the Easytouch to tell the valves to do the right thing?

t2b,

The Pump/Filter relay will energizer anytime you are in the pool mode or spa mode.. Sorry, just the way it works..

But you could add an additional Normally Closed relay in the SWCG's power path.. and then power the relay from the Spa relay output J7

So when you go to the spa mode, the pump/filter would still close, but the new relay would open and turn off the SWCG.

Relying on the flow switch is a really bad idea.

Here is an example of how this should work.. times are just made up for the example to show how it would work...

Schedule your Pool (Chlor/Solar) from say 7 am until 7 pm at 1750 (total time you want the pump to run)
Schedule your Pool High from say 8 am until 1 pm
Your pump will run at 1750 from 7 am until 8 am when the pump will run at 3450, until 1 pm when the pump will go back to 1750

You can just turn on Pool High manually if you want, but to make this work, but don't shut off Pool (Chlor.Solar). When the pump sees two speed it will always run the fastest..

Thanks,

Jim R.

t2b,

You still have Aux 2 function set to spillway... ??? That might confuse the system..

How are you turning it on? I assume just clicking an icon on ScreenLogic, which should work..

Jim R.

I it seems to default to spillway. As you see in all the other NOT USED circuits. I thought the same thing, so I first changed the function to not used, saved, then changed the Circuit name to Not Used. saved. Immediately the function reverted back to spillway as on the rest of the functions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.