Confessions of a former salt hater

Flboy44

Jan 30, 2022
Central Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
I thought this post of mostly what not to do, would be helpful for those like me! Pig headed!
Pool installed, 1998. My first SWG was from a startup company out of, Utah. I made the mistake of getting a unit that was much too small! I fought a green pool for a year off and on! It died and the owner, David upgraded me to his latest, much larger unit. It died in three months and he replaced it under warranty. That one lasted a year. I later discovered the failures were my fault, a wiring error! I had a dual speed motor at the time, and I picked the wrong tap. When the motor was in low speed, it always made a growling sound with the SWG powered on! The SWG was wired in series with the motor’s winding! Oops.
Once again, David replaced the unit, now with his latest, water cooled unit! It also had a copper ionizer as part of it. My motor died and I went single speed at the same time and I also installed solar panels. Good for a few years, and then the control unit started leaking. This time, David didn’t want to cover it under warranty, but gave in! This unit lasted 4 years or so.
I never went back!
The anchors to my pool cage rotted out, I blamed the salt! Have since had it proven to me, not a salt problem!
Through all of this, I also used chlorine pucks. My clever trick of maintaining pH! I plead ignorance!
The family insisted on a 95 deg pool, and with the SWG being water cooled,(and sitting in the Florida sun) it was overheating!
Everyone complained about burning eyes, salt blamed! But CYA was extremely high because of the tablets. And never measured!
Oh, and with copper, shall we talk about green hair?
Ashamed to admit, through all of this, I never measured salt levels! I would just throw in a bag or two when the pool started getting ready to do an algae bloom!

Last edited:
Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.