Confession Time!

I DIYd my heater problems as best I could since all pool people are booked through the summer. So, it runs, but doesn't read water temp correctly. No problem I just manually turn it on/off.

Last Saturday evening I ran it for about an hour just so it would be a nice temp Sunday morning.

Except, I forgot to turn it off. It ran all night and water temp was 99 when I went out Sunday morning.

Last Saturday evening I ran it for about an hour just so it would be a nice temp Sunday morning.
Except, I forgot to turn it off. It ran all night and water temp was 99 when I went out Sunday morning.
Same here. LOL
People say 85 is bath water.
They've got nothin' on you.
Please pass the soap. 🛀

Relied on the SWG salt reading one season too long. Ended up with salt at about 4K. Readings were in line with the drop test for 7 years then as it begins to fail, they have diverged.

I had a suction side cleaner for the AGP. One night after it ran, I was being lazy and I just turned the pump off, but didn't unhook the hose from the skimmer and left the cleaner in the water. The next day (mid morning), my wife and kids were getting ready to use the pool and one of them took the cleaner out and put it on the ground. Que the siphon and the pool emptied down until the return sucked air. Apparently no one noticed the pool draining while they were using it for an hour. I came home to find it that way. My first thought was a major leak, until I saw the hose still in the skimmer.

Mine is rather tame; I left the hose on and overflowed the pool. Not much but over the top of the coping.
In my experience, there are only 3 types of pool owners:
1.those with autofill
2. those that have overflowed their pool and admit it
3. those that have overflowed their pool and don't admit it

Don't forget...
4. those that have let their water level get below their skimmer!
5. those that have let their water level get below their skimmer and burned out their pump!!
Though nobody's confessed to that yet...

Reactions: Mdragger88
Don't forget...
4. those that have let their water level get below their skimmer!
5. those that have let their water level get below their skimmer and burned out their pump!!
Though nobody's confessed to that yet...

Ha no I have never done that! That would almost imply one is not swimming at all. With the average rate of evaporation I would have to let my pool go for probably 2 months with no rain and no topping off to get below the skimmer. I lose about an inch a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Inch a day, here! I just remembered a near-confession-level event. Years ago I had a freeze at my house while I was away, which popped a pipe and then flooded my entire house before I got back. Ever since I turn off the water to the house when I leave for more than a day or two. Fast forward to my high-CH solution: I had hooked my auto-filler to my water softener. I didn't consider how those two relate. I turned off the main and left the house for a few days, forgetting that my pool's filler was no longer plumbed to a pipe before the main valve, but now to the softener which is after the main valve. Got a nice surprise upon return. The water level was just barely above the bottom of the skimmer opening. Oops.

Inch a day, here! I just remembered a near-confession-level event. Years ago I had a freeze at my house while I was away, which popped a pipe and then flooded my entire house before I got back. Ever since I turn off the water to the house when I leave for more than a day or two. Fast forward to my high-CH solution: I had hooked my auto-filler to my water softener. I didn't consider how those two relate. I turned off the main and left the house for a few days, forgetting that my pool's filler was no longer plumbed to a pipe before the main valve, but now to the softener which is after the main valve. Got a nice surprise upon return. The water level was just barely above the bottom of the skimmer opening. Oops.

It is f r i g g i n HUMID in my area! We wake up to windows so drenched with water that we can't see out of them until about 10am when the humidity burns off a bit. I have a dehumidifier going in my shop and I dump 4-5 gallons a day of water out of it. Just taking the trash out you feel like you took a shower.

• Wow
Reactions: Dirk
It is f r i g g i n HUMID in my area! We wake up to windows so drenched with water that we can't see out of them until about 10am when the humidity burns off a bit. I have a dehumidifier going in my shop and I dump 4-5 gallons a day of water out of it. Just taking the trash out you feel like you took a shower.
Sounds like someone likes the AC on cold! Or I’m just cheap.

I admit, overflowed once. But it just goes over the autocover wall into the pit.

Omg 😳 how in the world?
I was using the paver to hold a tarp in place. I pulled the tarp from the other side and dragged it in. I didn't see it but I heard kur-plunk and then about pooped my pants when I saw the gash. I remember saying to my wife "do you remember how we said we wanted to replace the liner in a few years? I think now is the time..." That was not a pleasant conversation. I only use sand bags around the pool now.

• Wow
Reactions: Mdragger88
I was using the paver to hold a tarp in place. I pulled the tarp from the other side and dragged it in. I didn't see it but I heard kur-plunk and then about pooped my pants when I saw the gash. I remember saying to my wife "do you remember how we said we wanted to replace the liner in a few years? I think now is the time..." That was not a pleasant conversation. I only use sand bags around the pool now.

I did not realize liners were so fragile!

I was adding water to my pool using one of those hoses that shrinks up to nothing when water is not flowing but expands like crazy in length when pressurized with water. There was a small nozzle on the end of the hose, but it kept whipping around in the pool, so I took the basket out of the skimmer and aimed the nozzle towards the skimmer intake pipe (thinking I was a genius).

I then laid in the lounger and took a nap while the pool was filling. When I woke up, the pump (of course it was on the whole time) had managed to suck up most of the hose and, of course, it would not budge at all (the nozzle twisted and was completely stuck in the plumbing). It greatly diminished the skimmer action for months as I was trying to figure out how to fix my mistake without having to break up the poured concrete deck until months later when I went to move the skimmer valve to vacuum the pool but the valve would not move much. I took the valve cover off - there was the nozzle to the hose I "lost" with the hose attached! I was able to extricate every bit of that darn hose and the nozzle too! All was well!!

Lesson learned!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.