Confession Time!

country living

May 30, 2019
Virginia
I know I am not the only one that has done something that required the Oh! <adult word>! statement to be said out loud.

Here is mine.

I am on my 2nd year as a pool owner and just recently switched to a SWCG. We had a good amount of rain recently so I needed to add a bag of salt.

As I'm standing on the side of the pool I cut the bag open with my razor knife and as I start to tip the bag over. I dropped the razor knife in the pool. I can feel my heart rate increase as I watch it sink to the bottom of the pool. Luckily, it landed on it's side and did not cut the vinyl.

So, let's hear your Oh! moment being a pool owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: Mdragger88
<whew!> Close call on the knife!

Years ago: It wasn't my <adult word moment> but Skippy's...... back when we used to use a Polaris 165 sweep which is plugged into a return which gives it its "power" <which in itself is a bit of a joke> he got in the pool to do some exercises. Pumps off, water calm. Fine. He thinks "I'll just take the Polaris out and put it on the side of the pool" out of his way.

Well, he doesn't think a thing about it. I work nights, sleep days. He goes to work day shift. I wake up in the afternoon and see that the pool is like 1/3 drained down!!!!! FREAK OUT!!!!

Turns out that when the pump started, which sends water to the Polaris also, it was still sitting on the deck watering the cement.

<sigh>

Husbands. Can't live with 'em, Can't kill 'em.

Maddie :flower:

Last edited:
  • Haha
My first big Oh moment was installing my sand filter pipes backwards together with using Zeosand. Pool went cloudy instantly. Then tried to backwash and would't work until i figured it out. Duh! :hammer:

Second, a few months back when installing intelliPh, the pipes drained and had to prime the pump. After it finishe priming i turn to look at the pool and the jets were shooting out brown clouds of dirt. Forgot to turn the handle on the filter to recirculate because the zeosand cant take the full blunt force of 3000rpms.:hammer:

Live and learn, it was just dirt back in the pool.

One evening last year, I went outside and noticed I needed to top off my pool. It was still pretty "early" for me, maybe 9pm, so I turned on the hose and made a mental note to go back out in an hour or so. Well, I fell asleep in a comfy chair and when I woke up at 5am, I suddenly sat up and was like "OH!. As I ran for the backyard (which only took 10 seconds but felt like minutes!), I envisioned either the pool overflowing towards our house or our well pump burned out!

The water was an eighth of an inch from the top of my liner and the pump was still going. It took my heart a few good minutes to stop beating out of my chest. That was the LAST time I topped off the pool at night! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Just happened a few days ago so fresh on my mind.......I launch my robot and watch it do its thing for a bit then head off to my next project. After two hours it has finished and it is not the job I am used to seeing.....the issue is I did not insert the filter into the unit. The bot ran twice that day. :hammer:

Reactions: mickey4paws
Had a similar moment to DiverGirl. Came back from holidays, had to top up water and put in the hose. After a while, wife suggested to pop over to our friends who looked after the house while we were away. After a good hour at our friends, I went "OH!" and rushed back home. Everything was OK, but I learned my lesson and put in a timer at the tap I use for topping up the pool.

Reactions: DiverGirl1972
A recent one.. some of y’all may have seen my handy dandy amazon sprinkler - against my better judgement & partly due to my laziness I ordered it instead of retrofitting the one i made which is has glued & threaded fittings. (I usually try to make things instead of buying cuz i’m cheap lol)
Well it’s got a terrible design flaw - the pipe w/the holes is just kinda pushed in there so u guessed it - the other day it flew off & water was just going everywhere @ a high rate of speed! 😳 I’m just glad I was home!
Now it has several wraps of tape on it to prevent further tragedy.
I gotta get on the home made one & get it done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FYI all, I set timers on my cell all the time. From moving sprinklers to pool filling/draining, chemical checks 30 min later, any of it. Some days I have 5 timers going at once. I am this way after so many <adult word> moments than I can't count.

Wouldn't have crossed my mind that anyone could have thought anything else than "Oh Dear". Must be due to the dulcet tones of Australian English when misunderstandings happen...

2 big "duhs"
One night I poured liquid chlorine into the shallow end of the pool stirred it up and decided to fling the empty jug to the back of the pool area. It hit the filter regulator and I didn't think anything of it. Next morning I found the pool had drained below the skimmer. :hammer:At least the pump was not running. :smile:

Overflowed the pool several times when I forgot to shut the water off and came back hours later. :shock:

• Wow
Amateurs! How about using Pool Math to carefully calculate the amount of chlorine to add, but pouring in that amount of muriatic acid instead!! Oh, uh, not me. I meant, uh, I've heard of that happening to some other guy...

I have an auto-filler on my pool, so I've never overfilled that. But I've dumped thousands of gallons down my backyard hill filling my stupid little fountain. I let it run overnight a couple times! Like Newdude, I no longer turn on any water unless I set a timer. I took it one step farther and programmed my home automation system for that. If I forget to turn the water off after a set amount of time, my HA turns on lights all over the house to remind me!!

Family issues, lack of sleep etc. etc. All my flimsy excuses for running my still relatively new robot 3 times in one day trying to get the pool clean! Aaaagh! 1st attempt-I wasn't paying attention (duh) and didn't hit the power button correctly. I was kind of amazed it was in the exact same spot where I had dropped it, and realized the pool wasn't clean. 2nd attempt- Pool still not clean. Had not put the filter basket in the bot. (Right there with ya @Oly !). 3rd attempt- Clean. Spectacularly clean! Finally. Adult beverages followed. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Oly and Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.