Concrete Walkway Question

simo711

Bronze Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Macon, GA
Hey All,

My pool build is 2/3 of the way finished...the builder was able to install a walkway when the concrete decking was being installed. I didn't expect it to look the way it does but I don't want to fight him on it. My question to you all is...do you see any issues with the walkway? It is build on top of the ground and there is no support on either side. We have the landscaper added 2-3' of egg sized river rock on these sides but is that enough to help it from moving? Will it move or am I just being a newbie? There's already a few hairline cracks but he informed us it will crack regardless of what he does.

Thanks, Chris

Picture.jpg

Last edited:
Does not look all that bad if your are worried about it moving side to side I doubt it will in any noticeable manner. It will crack where the control joints are but that is what they are there for. Did they put wire, rebar, or fiber in the concrete that will have the biggest impact on the durability.

Where exactly do you expect it to go? Concrete is heavy and that is a large mass of concrete. Will it Crack, probably, but most concrete cracks eventually. If it looks aesthetically pleasing to you, then I wouldn't worry about it.

If it is free, you're golden! I wouldn't complain about that walkway at all, unless it diverts water or hinders the environment. If it isn't free, did they have a gravel base and metal/rebar in it? Enjoy is what I think, good expansion joints!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Free? Would you propose it a different way, if it was paid for? It is part of the build, not free I imagine. Hinders the environment, its a sidewalk?! Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the risk. It was poured high, so that the final restoration could be done properly instead of trying to dig down to the new sidewalk and cause water pooling on it.

Free? Would you propose it a different way, if it was paid for? It is part of the build, not free I imagine. Hinders the environment, its a sidewalk?! Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the risk. It was poured high, so that the final restoration could be done properly instead of trying to dig down to the new sidewalk and cause water pooling on it.

Tool, with "Hinders the environment" is not what a lot of people may construe. It isn't hug a tree hinder... it's the natural flow of water. If it hinders the environment in the way the natural run off of rain may go. If you have a build up of water on a side, that will definitely effect the concrete.

If there was ever water on the RIGHT side of the walkway/picture, then a small drain would be nice. Nothing is free. Not even Chicago.

Last edited:
Gotcha. Looks like grade falls off pretty significantly from right to left in the pic. Hopefully its just that small area in between the concrete portions that would drain over the concrete walk, which if contoured right is fine. Hard to tell what grade is doing further up, but you are right - don't want to build a sidewalk dam in the yard.

It would be nice to see pictures on the BEFORE. Pictures, pictures, pictures. People can't take enough pictures. It isn't as if they have to get the film developed Hehehe.

I am learning as well. It is hard to remember... PICTURES! :)

Thanks everyone for the discussion. My plan is to lay 3 feet of river rock (3" deep) next to the pool decking. On the right side of the walkway, we planned on adding more river rock but last night 2 inches of rain fell and water collected and poured into my garden....so....looks like raising the level up and adding sod on the right side will be best. Guess we'll add some river rock on the left side from the garden to the start of the walkway. Here's my MS Paint drawing (LINK)...pretty good, huh? Any suggestions?

Are you worried with it being above ground vs being flush with the ground? If so that's not something to worry about. Concrete sets quickly and when it's fluid there are forms in place to keep it from flowing sideways. Once it's set the forms are removed. The only way you're going to have lateral movement is if you drive a bobcat or something laterally into the walkway.

Concrete can withstand a LOT of force, and it doesn't move. Think bridge pilings or piers. With trucks on top the concrete doesn't just explode outwards, and there's no shell holding it together.

The walkway looks great. In terms of durability it should last far longer than you'd want it to last unless the pour was a poor quality mix.

There is NO obvious Lateral movement with concrete. Predictable, Horizontal would be niiiiice. There is ALWAYS MOVEMENT with concrete. It isn't will it crack, it is when and where it will crack. Nicely if you're lucky.
ALSO, bridge piers are NOT Just concrete. They are a mixture of flexing plastic concrete poured very securely over time that way water intrusion doesn't compromise the flexible METAL core. ntobik.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.