Thisisthelife

Dec 8, 2021
Bradenton, FL
My concrete decking was poured last week. It is fantastic in most area but the area directly at my house is screwed up. We haven't had any rain and the water just from morning dew pools right at my door. I complained and my pool builder came and skim coated it...said that when they texture the decking it will be fixed and unnoticeable. I want to argue for a longer warranty but don't know how long it might be until something like this starts to fail if ever? Is there any other solution? The area will have a roof over it and there is a drain 10 feet out...but I live in FL and we frequently get very heavy rains! It is to grade with a laser but looks like the pour wasn't smoothed over completely flat?

Attachments

• 20220310_145503.jpg
    20220310_145503.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220308_182800.jpg
    20220308_182800.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220308_075646.jpg
    20220308_075646.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 42
I don’t think the concrete will “fail” but you may have water collection issues by that door. All you can do is wait and see if the roofing helps to divert water away. You may want to revisit the plans for that structure to ensure that there is proper water control, possibly with gutters to redirect the water into existing channel and deck drains.

Reactions: kul and Newdude
I don’t think the concrete will “fail” but you may have water collection issues by that door. All you can do is wait and see if the roofing helps to divert water away. You may want to revisit the plans for that structure to ensure that there is proper water control, possibly with gutters to redirect the water into existing channel and deck drains.
There will be a 7 inch super gutter along the roof sides and the entire area around my pool will be screened? Do you think that with their patch job should mostly eliminate the issues?

There will be a 7 inch super gutter along the roof sides and the entire area around my pool will be screened? Do you think that with their patch job should mostly eliminate the issues?
The only other solution is to Jack it all up and do it again. Ideally they should have had a slope away from the house.

I guess another option is to inject grout or foam under the slab to try and get it to slope. Both of those options are expensive though. If you are having the deck coated, it will probably look fine as long as the water doesn’t collect there anymore.

What he said 👆

At this point, there isn’t much you can do but finish it off and correct any issues after the fact. I’m looking at your picture and it appears that the poured slab comes right up to the level of the house’s foundation. You really can’t pour the concrete any higher than that or else the slab will push against the siding and it will look visually weird. The house is simply right at level grade and there’s not enough elevation to make the slab drain towards the channel drains in the deck. It’s best to wait and see what happens rather than make a big stink now when there’s no way to remediate it. Simply put it on the punch list of final items and use your 10% holdback payment to force a discussion of it later on … that assume of course that you are holding back a final part of the payment for a punch list.

Reactions: Bperry
What he said 👆

At this point, there isn’t much you can do but finish it off and correct any issues after the fact. I’m looking at your picture and it appears that the poured slab comes right up to the level of the house’s foundation. You really can’t pour the concrete any higher than that or else the slab will push against the siding and it will look visually weird. The house is simply right at level grade and there’s not enough elevation to make the slab drain towards the channel drains in the deck. It’s best to wait and see what happens rather than make a big stink now when there’s no way to remediate it. Simply put it on the punch list of final items and use your 10% holdback payment to force a discussion of it later on … that assume of course that you are holding back a final part of the payment for a punch list.
I did financing through Lyons. Final payment is 25% at completion. What should I check for on a punch list? What is something to ask for later on?

A punch list is a list of items that you create based on things that don't look quite right or seem unfinished. It varies greatly from pool build to pool build. It can be as simple as "the contract stated I would get a pool pole and skimmer net and it hasn't arrived yet" to "one of the coping bricks seems loose" or "there's still a pile of dirt in my front yard that hasn't been hauled away" . It's best to have it in a sharable document form that you keep and preferably share with your pool builder so that you don't spring it on him all at once. There may be items you highlight in the punch list that he can take care of sooner rather than later and there could be items that he will want to look at when the job is done. As long as he agrees that the final payment isn't released until all the items on the list are taken care of, then it can be a handy communication tool that lowers the stress levels.

But do keep in mind that there can be things on people's punch lists that a builder may refuse to follow through on because they are a matter of opinion and preference and not really an actionable item. As long as the builder can demonstrate that he has fulfilled his end of the contract and that the build was executed using typical and customary building practices, then he doesn't necessarily have to fix every little wart or visual defect that might crop up. Punch lists should contain reasonable items that both parties can agree to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.