Concrete pool up north

I am glad the epoxy grout is working out even if it is slow going. I continue to be amazed at the work, and the quality of the work, you and the family produce.

lbridges said:
I am glad the epoxy grout is working out even if it is slow going. I continue to be amazed at the work, and the quality of the work, you and the family produce.

lbridges I thought of you yesterday and how glad I am that you provided me with the info that made me bold enough to go along with this job myself. I woulden't have done that if it wasn't for you.
After a few days with this mess do I wonder how much money I have saved by doing this myself :?: a professional would have charged me alot if I were to guess :goodjob: So I owe you a cold one :cheers:
You said that Mapeis Kerapoxy had good reputation in the US and I think you're right , said from someone with very very little experience :hammer: It's good to work with up to an hour, after that does it get considerable more difficult. So I belive I have a first class product, it's just that the epoxy itself demands a lot more strenghts than cement based grout does.

There are things in this project that I'm more happy with than others. The surrounding walls are one of those even if it's nothing out of the ordinary, actually very simple both construction wise and it's layout. What I like about it though is that we sticked to the plan and made it with 90 degrees angles and not radious corners (besides from one that is 45) and that we made it with three different heights.
The pouring of the top yesterday really made me feel good. I have been so tired of watching all this metal brackets on the wall for the whole winter so the fact that I can take them off tomorrow will be a big step towards a finish product :whoot: . on the top does also all the electrcal tubes runs for the lamps and speakers so that is also a good feeling to be able to buries those with concrete :)

I lied yesterday when I said that it's only the floor left to grout. I have waited with the waterline tiles beacuse I want to get over the tile lines once more, to make sure that they are clean. We talked in another thread about glass and that they can break and be harmful on certain position in a pool. If you make sure that the grout is flush with the surface of the glass is it just as hard to break a glass mosaic than it is to break a ceramic plate. I have grouted the lowest vertical step on our stairs(pic) and I was very careful to flush the grout with the surface of the glass to minimize any risk of a broken plate in the future.
I have mounted glass around and inside our skimmers! Its a pain in the but to cut those small plates. It takes a few before you get it right :wink:
Beacuse of the construction of our pool with a angle on top of the walls did I have to improvise a bit with the glass on the top of each skimmer(pic)

lol dlduvall
I ain't much better on writing in swedish, so we are at the same level on that one :cheers:[attachment=2:2j75unod]Glass around skimmersIMG_7894.gif[/attachment:2j75unod][attachment=1:2j75unod]Glass around skimmersIMG_7895.gif[/attachment:2j75unod][attachment=0:2j75unod]Glass around skimmersIMG_7896.gif[/attachment:2j75unod]

Attachments

• Glass around skimmersIMG_7894.gif
    Glass around skimmersIMG_7894.gif
    341.2 KB · Views: 460
  • Glass around skimmersIMG_7895.gif
    Glass around skimmersIMG_7895.gif
    325.5 KB · Views: 460
  • Glass around skimmersIMG_7896.gif
    Glass around skimmersIMG_7896.gif
    317.3 KB · Views: 461
Attaboy Mats,

Having the family involved in the process certainly will help them appreciate it that much more. I am so fired up for you - the race is almost over.

I was at a high school graduation this past weekend. Very exciting time for the graduate; best wishes for Sara as she moves up to her high school.

Give yourself time to enjoy this project before you move on to the next one. Based on what I've seen you do, it will probably be something simple... are you gonna build a still, perhaps? :cheers:

The glass tile is gorgeous! I cannot wait to see your pool sparkle! :cool:

Thanks everybody!
I have made a BIG mistake. I'm so very much irritated and sad. How I can cut off the two electical tubes that I have had so much job with to mount in the black concrete is nothing than unbelievable. This tubes contains electrical supply to lamps on the outside of the wall and speaker cable to the fourth speaker :evil: I really can't belive it's me that have done it. I like to think of myself as one that think things over before I do something. I make misstakes every now and then no doubt about that, but to cut off those two tubes is just to much. Things like that takes so much energy and really drop my inspiration.
I will go to bed and try to forgive myself :hammer:[attachment=0:1d8rgcdf]madnessIMG_7901.gif[/attachment:1d8rgcdf]

Attachments

• madnessIMG_7901.gif
    madnessIMG_7901.gif
    225.9 KB · Views: 378
Hey Mats. I'm not sure I understand how you did that from the pic, but I do understand your frustration. :( I'm my worst enemy. Maybe sleeping on it will help.:sleep:You've done such a marvelous job on this pool I was beginning to think you weren't gonna make any mistakes. You can't be perfect all the time. It's gonna be alright :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From the pic, it looks like there was a cut made between the concrete sections which severed a conduit toward the back. If so, is the conduit encased in concrete, or just attached to the back of it? Is it PVC or metal?

Uh oh! :shock:

Sucks when it's YOU that screws it up cuz then YOU know you can't blame anyone else cuz we all know it's so much easier to put the blame elsewhere. Oh well, YOU done did it now! :mrgreen:

I'm hopeful you'll be able to fix it and someday be able to laugh at yourself for being an idiot all the while saying, WHAT WAS I THINKING?! Just don't answer yourself and say, "I wasn't thinking FOOL!" :hammer: Everyone might think you're crazy if they see you talking to yourself and then answering yourself. :mrgreen:

Did you have the electrical wire in the tube already? If so remove the wire, get a fishing tape, run the tape through the pipe, attatch new wire , pull it through . Your black concrete is not near the pool so water tight may not be a issue. If the crack in the picture is supposed to be grouted it should be ok.

Mats.....Mats.....It's time to get out of bed now.. :sleep: We all have faith in you! You have shown how creative you are, and we know you will find a way to fix it. I just hope you didn't do anything crazy.....like call a pool store for advice. :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol:

I'm out of bed now :-D
I don't know but it stroked me when I was driving around today that I'm closer to the goal than ever before of having a pool in our yard, despite that have I found myself take less and less interest to finish this job :hammer: Can it be the weather that has put me off ? Whatever it is have I decided to change that and finsih this job once and for all. I guess when the sun starts to shine here will the inspiration come back like ever before :cool:
So with my new found inspiration will I go out right after the soccer game with Brasil and prepare the pool for some epoxy grouting tomorrow after work. I have to wipe out all rain water so the nice weather that we are promised here tomorrow can dry up the grout lines. That is a must, otherwise is it impossible to apply the epoxy

I have cleaned up the yard and almost poured black concrete all around the walls so I haven't spent all my free time in bed :cool:
Regarding the broken conduits! They were placed in pvc tubes, unfortunately can't I pull new cables through since I have poured in junction boxes in the wall. Look at the pic below, you can see two vertical black sides where the wall changes height, there are junction boxes poured in those two spots. So I have to fix the cables where I cut them, there is no other way to do it without reveal the junction boxes which is more job. I know a way to fix it! It just boring :evil:[attachment=0:2vw8zvon]RojoIMG_7908.gif[/attachment:2vw8zvon]

Attachments

• RojoIMG_7908.gif
    RojoIMG_7908.gif
    332.7 KB · Views: 224
mpride said:
Henry,
you are still the man!!!!!!

I always say that if you make no mistakes then you are doing nothing!

You're so close. It will all be worth it when your sipping beers in the pool. :cheers:

Good luck!
I've got a nice bottle champagne that I got on my 40's birhtday. I think I will brake that one, can't think of a better occasion :cheers:

I said earlier that with a little more practise I could work this grout up to perfection. Forget that !!...I think it has turned the other way instead. 5 hours and this is what we accomplished :oops:
The stairs is far more difficult to apply it to since I can't get the space to wipe off the excess in a good way so that leaves a lot of grout for the sponges which makes it more time consuming and messy.
Two steps left after that do I hope I can pic up the pace again[attachment=1:3b3cdv46]messy jobIMG_8111.gif[/attachment:3b3cdv46][attachment=0:3b3cdv46]messy jobIMG_8213.gif[/attachment:3b3cdv46]

Attachments

• messy jobIMG_8111.gif
    messy jobIMG_8111.gif
    254.2 KB · Views: 166
  • messy jobIMG_8213.gif
    messy jobIMG_8213.gif
    251.8 KB · Views: 165
It turned out good but 5 hours work! That is insane. The strange thing is, I can't see what a pro can do to improve that time and still retain the results.
I know that they do it faster but from my point of view is it just hard work, nothing complicated that you can do in many different ways. So I wonder how they do it, it would be interested to see someone who work with this professionally and learn from them.
One thing I thought of is that all this wipings that I does maybe not helping the results so much. I might be good off with less, but I don't wanna take any chances so I will continue they way that I started. Like I said! Only two step left after that is it just plain floor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.