Concrete pool up north

I know you should never rush but I was wondering if you have a finish date in mind. :-D

lol!!
Both yes and no Casey. I'm pretty sure that I will have water in the pool in July but the surronded areas will not be ready until this fall or to next seasons start up.
Since I am such a speedy worker my guess is that I will have most of it ready by this fall, everything except for the outdoor kitchen

Nice painted pools are pretty, but we were advised several years back that we were actually better off NOT painting our gunnite pool, but instead to leave the grey concrete finish bare. The argument was that you never have to do anything to the finish on a bare concrete pool, but that once you start painting, you will have to drain and repaint the pool every few years no matter how good your paint is - and decent paint is expensive, not to mention the expense and hassle of draining and refilling the pool. (As of a couple years ago, our town requires that you get pool fill water trucked in rather than drawing from the municipal system)

The argument sold us, we now have a tiled surround on the waterline (with the tile falling off :cry: ) and a grey gunnite finish, which actually looks more like a dark blue paint job under the water.

Gooserider

Henry Porter said:
Hi Kevin!
We gonna tile the waterline and paint the rest with epoxy. Either in a white shade or a light pool blue. Tile colour is not yet decided, I leave that decision to my wife 8) There are so many nice combinations on this site so I get dizzy, but if I would vote for something I must say that I'm a little weak for Piecses choice, but as I said there are many other combos that are nice aswell.

Here it is... Not the best photo, but it does OK.[attachment=0:s5xsxzdo]pool1.jpg[/attachment:s5xsxzdo] This is looking from the diving board end, you can see the main drain just to the left of the diving board, (about 8' deep there) with the skimmer and chlorine floater at the left edge. The pool bot is back in the shallow end - the place where the hose attaches to the pool wall is roughly the point where the deep end starts. The white block at the waterline on the right edge is where some of the tiles are coming off.

Incidentally the pool is somewhere between 15 and 30 years old - it was here when the GF bought the house 15 years ago, but wasn't in an aerial photo we've seen that shows the house when it was first built about 30 years ago.

As usual, I need to clean up a lot of tree droppings, and whack the weeds back, but...

As you can see, even though the concrete is grey when it's out of the water, when covered it's a nice mottled blue.

Gooserider

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 1,034
Thanks Gooserider!
I would never guessed that was raw concrete. Looks a lot like the tile on the waterline in it's colour. Looks really good I must admit.
I have been misstaken on gunnite I didn't think that material was watertight itself without some sort of sealent as a topcoat. Looks porous in it's consistency. But that just an observation from pictures i've seen on this site. I have never seen it IRL.
You are definately right about how pricy a real epoxy coating is. one of the more expensive posts in my build. People I have talked to say's right applied, will it last a decade. If that's right I think I could live with the hassle to drain re do it. But if your time span is right it's not worth it.
I'm gonna get a price on the product within a couple of weeks. I have a connection in a store that hold the brand which product I'm intend to use. So they have offered me to bring home poolpaint for my expense. I've got a qoute on it from a regular poolpainting company before but their pricing was hilarious to say at least. I think I can tile the whole pool for 1,5X the cost for the paint.

//Mats

Hi, Mats,

I haven't posted in a while.......perhaps because the quality of your work has left me speechless! :lol: :lol:

I continue to be amazed at the skills you demonstrate. Very, very nice!

Dave my friend you seems to be a lovely person. I always have said that a person how cut and splint his own wood is a good fellow. And you certainly confirm that saying.
Talking about woods I've got mine yesterday. What a timing! Right in the middle of everything with the pool :( But that is a task that has to be done, so no time for tears here :-D I started today to cut it up in pieces hopefully finish tomorrow. Will leave them in pieces and wait a while before I splint it. As you all no do I need to get going with the poolbuild.

I hope I can place my order for my filter and pump tomorrow, it have been a little struggle with the freight and what it will cost me. But I think we will have it sorted out by tomorrow. They calculate with 21 days in transit so I need to place the order very soon.

//Mats
[attachment=0:1rncknqa]Cutting woodIMG_3293.gif[/attachment:1rncknqa]

Attachments

• Cutting woodIMG_3293.gif
    Cutting woodIMG_3293.gif
    214.4 KB · Views: 982
Todays job!
Mounted the frame for the machine room and poured the concrete. Since I had the cement mixer home this weekend I leveled off the stairs with a concrete based on fine sand.

//Mats
[attachment=0:2og1mo8l]machine roomIMG_4676.gif[/attachment:2og1mo8l][attachment=2:2og1mo8l]machine roomIMG_4682.gif[/attachment:2og1mo8l][attachment=1:2og1mo8l]machine roomIMG_4683.gif[/attachment:2og1mo8l]

Attachments

• machine roomIMG_4682.gif
    machine roomIMG_4682.gif
    179.2 KB · Views: 930
  • machine roomIMG_4683.gif
    machine roomIMG_4683.gif
    181 KB · Views: 932
  • machine roomIMG_4676.gif
    machine roomIMG_4676.gif
    116.3 KB · Views: 929

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you very much dlduvall. I like your signature 8)

Speaking of signature! I have finally placed my order on my equipment and will change my signature so it fit my pools features, now when I finally know how it will be. A month in transit is what I've been told it will take before I can pick up the items in Gothenburg. Who knows..... I might even be finished with the pool by then 8)

Here is what I've bought:
Hayward swimclear 420 sq ft Cartridge filter
Pentair Whisperflo 3/4 HP WFE-3
Dolphin Diagnostic pool cleaner
Zodiac LM3-24 saltwater chlorinator

Hi!
The never ending log continues :-D
I will continue post every small steps of progress that I achive, the log should be seen like a construction type of log, so people should not expect anything dramatic from post to post.

I have worked on the machine room today. On the first shift of bricks did I drill down rebars(2 in each brick) in the floor and welded it together with the rebars on the first shift(see pic). Rebars are mounted on every other shift through out the bricking.
There are four hoses missing in the machineroom that I have not connected yet beacuse I run out of hose. It's the freshwater from our house and the drain from the shower and the two that shall go to the heatpump. Besides from that I think everything else is there.

Have a nice weekend!
//Mats
[attachment=2:2o544cz7]machine roomIMG_4684.gif[/attachment:2o544cz7][attachment=1:2o544cz7]machine roomIMG_4685.gif[/attachment:2o544cz7][attachment=0:2o544cz7]machine roomIMG_4686.gif[/attachment:2o544cz7]

Attachments

• machine roomIMG_4684.gif
    machine roomIMG_4684.gif
    222.3 KB · Views: 785
  • machine roomIMG_4685.gif
    machine roomIMG_4685.gif
    245.3 KB · Views: 781
  • machine roomIMG_4686.gif
    machine roomIMG_4686.gif
    228.5 KB · Views: 782
Mats, HI :wave:

You're doing a great job :!: We love the pics and updates!

I've really got to commend you for the wonderful pool you are building and how well you planned it out and built it :goodjob: I think all the folks here are as anxious as you must be for it to be filled with water and swimmable :-D

Keep posting the pics and updates, we're patient, but want to see this whole build through 8)

Thank you for this thread!!! :bowdown: :super: :party:

I continue to follow this thread and am continually amazed. I agree with the others, the quality of your work is amazing. That pool will be around a while, that's for sure.

You may have said in another post that I missed, but what is the orangish-red tube in the equipment room for?

Adam

Ted, Richard and Adam! You're making a old man happy, thank you :)

Richard I haven't thought about how sharp corners will affect the poolrobots ability to clean the walls. When you mentioning it, it make sense that a 90 degree angle are tougher to clean than a radius angle. I guess I have to build myself a broom with a long shaft so I can reach
down.

Adam that big tube is a brunn that will collect water from the outdoor kitchen and the shower and the floor drain in the machine room. I will also connect one hose from each skimmer to prevent submersion of the pool when it's raining. When the water in the brunn reach a certain level a pump starts and transport the water to the house drain system(see pic).[attachment=0:1j7zcord]TrappaIMG_4651.gif[/attachment:1j7zcord]

I haven't done anything with the pool build except grout the machineroom both on the inside and the outside. This is something that has to be done when you working with light clinker material in order to get the wall water tight. My whole weekend has gone with working with my wood, to splint it and get it in the shelter. An extremely stupid thing to do now when I'm stucked with so much work with the pool. I'm so tired today that I had to take a day vacation from my job. I'm gonna rest for a few days now, and then go right back to my build 8)

Attachments

• TrappaIMG_4651.gif
    TrappaIMG_4651.gif
    153.2 KB · Views: 654
Henry, Your pool build is just amazing. It proves that in order to get the absolute highest quality you must do it yourself. Most of us don't have that much know how. It has been my pleasure to view your pictures and read your words about your project. I can hardly wait to see more. Keep up the very excellent work! :party:

Thanks alot for your kind words Cancutom :wave:
Me and my wife love to read your blog. It's fun to be able to take part of your delicious dishes and everything else you and you wife enjoying. The food on that mexican restaurant that you rated so highly looked so good, especially the table made guagumole(spelling!!) I love guagumole. We could really feel the taste of it all the way up here :cheers:
Poolwise have your build been very inspirational to us. After your last set of pictures decided we to give up the plan on building an wooden deck(that is very common around pools over here) for your type of decking. Concrete with tile insertions. We haven't thought of the possibility to mix those two materials like that. So right now I'm driving around to try to find a tile that can stand against freezing. Not the easiest job as it seems.

Cancutom! Good tan on that pic showing you in the hole when the pool where under construction :goodjob:

Hey Mats,
I just read this post from beginning to now. What you've done is amazing :super: You must be a very tired man. Kudos to you :goodjob: Can't wait to see the finished product.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.