Concrete Pool Coping Bricks and a Fiberglass Pool - Bad Idea???

Thanks a million ac!! Really helpful to see your pics. I am leaning more towards the adhesive method as well. Like you say, if one pops off, shouldn't be too difficult to replace with a new bead of adhesive.

I will look up the adhesive that was used for your project. I've also posted a question for the sales rep of the Sika adhesive that I posted about earlier, but haven't heard an answer yet as the suitability of that product for this job. When I do, I'll update this thread.

Did you use the same SRW adhesive to attach the waterline tile, or was that a different method. I'm undecided about waterline tile at this point, don't know if it will be overkill on a small pool.

I really appreciate everyone's helpful ideas and perspective. Thanks so much.

warm regards,

Northern Lights
The waterline tile was attached by the pool manufacturer. I believe they simply use silicone adhesive. The grout is silicone.

ac

Waterline tile is applied with silicone caulk. I would use the same color to stick it on and grout it IMO. After you put it on and let it dry, liberally apply caulk to the face of the tiles and then use scrubbie pads doused in dish washing detergent & water to spread it into the grout lines. It works really well. Just buy a lot of the disposable scrubbie pads.

Fabulous picture. This is the kind of thing that you can't find on the internet! You don't see it until you actually build your own pool and if you don't like the look then, well it's too late.

Really appreciate this pic and you taking it and posting it here!! Thanks so much!

warm regards,

Northern Lights

- - - Updated - - -

I heard back from the Sika Rep about using the Sika Ultimate Grab adhesive for this project. Here is what they said:

"Hello and thank you for your question. Fiberglass is always a tricky substrate to bond to. It is so smooth, there is nothing for the sealant to "bite" to. Once fully cured, the Sikabond Ultimate Grab can be submerged without an issue. Sika recommends doing a test (glue one brick), roughen the surface of the fiberglass with sand paper. Make sure the surface is clean afterwards, remove all dust, a solvent wipe would be recommend (Xylene, MEK, etc.). Make sure you are wearing protective equipment like gloves and safety glasses, allow the solvent to flash off. Then proceed with the application."

I will try and contact SWR about their adhesive, but looks like a good choice as they mention pool coping in their list of approved uses for the product.

Thanks again to everyone here. So incredibly helpful. Hopefully I have some nice pics to post here by the end of summer when the pool installation is nearing completion.

warm regards,

Northern Lights

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much! This is excellent information. I will decide about the waterline tile once the pool is installed and can get a sense of the project as a whole.

warm regards,

Northern Lights

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.