Concrete Pool Closing Water Level

r2pool2

Sep 23, 2020
OH
I am brand new to the pool world. Our home of six weeks came with a concrete pool. Just had it closed by local shop, and I am a bit concerned about water level. They blew out lines well. But they left it with a straight PVC pipe coming out of the skimmer line and a "snorkel" like L-shaped PVC pipe coming out of the return line where the jet usually is. Both pipes are capped (above water line), and they did put some antifreeze in lines. But they did not drain the water at all. So the skimmer "housing" still has a few inches of water (just like if pool was open) and portions of both pipes are under water. We will freeze this winter, are these pipes in danger of cracking for the portions that are under water? Should I drain my pool below these pipes? Thanks!! Cover is a Katchakid safety net with a solid tarp style pool cover on top. I am considering replacing solid cover with mesh style tarp to avoid having to drain water from cover this winter. Next year we will invest in a proper safety cover.

My pool level is not drained down for the winter. The skimmer line has a Gizmo (Google it) screwed into it so I can blow the line and add anti-freeze. The skimmer box still has water in it. The weir door to the skimmer is propped open with a crushed gallon anti-freeze jug to avoid ice damage to the door.

Depending on where you are in OH I'd be happier if they blew the lines and added the AF to the lines. The returns are blown, AF is added and the lines are plugged under the water.

We are in SW OH, so not horrible winters, but we have seen some long cold spells before. There was a Gizmo left behind by previous owner, but one of the pool guys told the other he couldn't use it (maybe it didn't have the valve to allow the lines to be blown out?). I didn't realize that "gizmo" was an actual product, thought it was a slang term one of them was using. So it sounds like draining the pool is not necessary and I can assume the PVC pipes they used instead of the Gizmo will be OK being partially submerged. Googling the Gizmo, it looks like it is made to protect the skimmer box. So perhaps it would be prudent to put something in the skimmer box that could absorb some freeze crush in lieu of the Gizmo. If I were to put in a Gizmo now, it would require blowing out the lines again since removing the pipe would allow water back into the line, and I don't have that equipment (yet). My goal for the first year of pool ownership is to do no harm.

Cut up a pool noodle and pack it in the skimmer box. The flexible noodle gives ice a place to expand without cracking the skimmer.

Are you certain they didn't blow the water out? With what you are describing they could have blown the lines. I use an "L" shaped piece of PVC to get above the water line on the returns. Then I blow the lines and add the anti-freeze. I just remove the L and add a plug instead of leaving the "L". I'm south of Columbus and yes I remember some really cold winters. I just use a big shop vac since I had one already.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, they blew out the lines and then added antifreeze. The pipe used for the skimmer is about half submerged. The L-pipe used for the jet hookup they rotated and after clearing so it is completely submerged. Both pipes are capped at the top. My concern was the submerged pieces of PVC cracking during a freeze and allowing water into the lines.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.