Concrete pad for heat pump

gb99

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2013
Boston, MA
Hi TFP:

It looks like I will get a Gulf Stream heat pump and now I'm thinking about the installation. My existing equipment pad is not big enough, so I will likely get another block of concrete to place the heat pump on. The old pad and new pad will be pretty close to each other.

I plan on tamping down the earth, laying down some gravel, and tamping again, and then laying down the concrete block. Is there anything else I need to think about?

Thanks!

Concrete block on top of gravel should be fine for a base.

Plan on a steady stream of condensation from the heat pump. Mine will condense a few gallons of water an hour out of the air on a humid day. Its enough to make the ground muddy where the water runs off my concrete pad. You may want to place the heat pump where any condensation run off will be directed away from the rest of your equipment.

Thanks for the info about the condensation. We are doing a build this year and I didn’t think about the condensation making a mess around the pad. This is another reason to add a drain near the pad for back wash and such.

OP, sorry to hi jack! I think you have it covered for the base. I know some guys may not even go to the trouble of tamping and concrete. Level and set. Gravel certainly would help for drainage.

Also if possible put your heat pump where it will get full sun... I know it sounds weird but the heat from the sun will make it run more efficiently on colder air temp days. Its not worth plumbing it across your yard for but if moving it a couple feet will put it in sunny spot it's worth considering. Also you don't want anything blocking the air flow in or out of the heat pump. Keep it away from bushes, walls and fences as much as practical.

Thanks guys for the tips, and for the heads-up on the condensation. How best to resolve that? Maybe: before the concrete cures, use a small garden shovel to dig a channel around the horizontal face of the concrete pad, and lead it to a pvc drain set in the low side of the pad? Then run a short length of pvc pipe from the drain to somewhere away from the house?

I'll keep in mind the location of the heat pump. Full sun means locating it away from the house and kind of in the open, but I'll see what I can do.

Thanks guys for the tips, and for the heads-up on the condensation. How best to resolve that? Maybe: before the concrete cures, use a small garden shovel to dig a channel around the horizontal face of the concrete pad, and lead it to a pvc drain set in the low side of the pad? Then run a short length of pvc pipe from the drain to somewhere away from the house?

I'll keep in mind the location of the heat pump. Full sun means locating it away from the house and kind of in the open, but I'll see what I can do.

Mine is on patio blocks on top of about 8" of stone (same as pavers) in full sun. The condensation runs right away and I've never even noticed it. My ground is sandy beneath the stones though. What really irks me is when I walk behind the pool shed to feel all the cool air coming off the heat pump when it is running. I wish I could reclaim the chill in the house or at least the pool shed somehow :).

steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.