"Concrete lifting" - good idea or not?

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
The concrete apron around our 20+year-old in-ground pool has sunk considerably, with one portion 2" below the other portion. The coping is fine, however, but it's causing falls and stubbed toes and has us worried about long-term issues.

Enter "concrete lifting." A company nearby drills holes in the concrete, then injects a mixture of sand and cement into the holes, and levels out the concrete pieces that way. They then patch with cement. I've seen their work on sidewalks and it looks very good.

Any thoughts from pool build experts about this? The pieces needing lifting are not directly above any skimmers or returns, but I'm a little worried about the coping and plumbing. I've attached a pic of the sunken pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_6224.jpg
    IMG_6224.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 121
st,

I think "mud jacking" would work fine. But I would have them come by to give you an estimate, and ask them directly if they can lift the back end of the concrete while leaving the pool side stable.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'd be a bit worried that the pressure would push in on the pool wall as well as lift the deck. Like Jim said, I'd want the lifting done away from the coping.

The people that have done it around here have not been happy with the results long term. The slabs settle back down over time. It's best to have it ripped out and a proper base installed.

Plummer concrete out of Ellsworth is a great company. They did several jobs for me when I was a general contractor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.