Concrete dust and pebbles in pool

May 7, 2017
Northern NJ
So we made a huge mistake by not covering our pool for a patio renovation. The start of the concrete patio is about 13' away from the pool and my husband let me know small concrete bits got in the pool while they were jack-hammering the patio apart (along with dust). He tried his best to skim them but they sank quick to the bottom (above ground). I am guessing if I spend time with a leaf rake maybe diving that would be the best way to get it out? Also I assume the concrete dust will be taken care of by the filter? It is cartridge so I will do a full clean once this is done. GRRRRRR

19905246_10155506867577813_4711438474778163714_n.jpg

20032079_10155506867917813_7563019283849976694_n.jpg

Well that stinks.... I wouldn't have thought about covering the pool either - thinking stuff wouldn't fly that high and far to get into the above ground pool. In ground - yes, but not above ground!

That's what I would do - go diving for concrete. I often dive for pine needles (just for fun). Any kids around? A penny a bit? Kids might charge more these days. :scratch:

For the concrete dust... Do you use skimmer socks? If not, that might collect some of the dust before the filter. I use hair nets on my skimmers. I'm always surprised by how much fine dirt they collect. They are cheap. But a true skimmer sock with a tighter weave might be worth it for this situation. The short term cost difference wouldn't be that much.

If you don't already use something in your skimmers, I can give you some links for both kinds. Just let me know.

You're absolutely right - clean your cartridges after the clean up. If the filter pressure goes up during, you may need to do a quick clean in the middle.

Good luck!
Suz

This is what I like, but I haven't compared the cost to knee highs. The ones below come out to 7 cents a piece. At that price, I use two a week (I have 2 skimmers) and throw them away each week , so no cleaning.

Disposable Hair Net, Spun-Bonded Polypropylene, White, 100 per Bag Amazon.com: Disposable Hair Net, Spun-Bonded Polypropylene, White, 100 per Bag: Sports Outdoors

Below are true skimmer socks. I don't know if they would be better for the fine concrete dust. But you can wash them to use again. Use the technique described in the link Richard gave you. Turn them inside out and swish in a bucket of water.

Pool Skimmer Socks Large Premium Filter Saver Socks (10pcs) by Aquatix Pro, Ultrafine Mesh Material to Protect Your Filters, Baskets & Skimmers, Removes Debris, Leaves, Oil, Pollen, Bugs, Scum & More! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WW9LFFQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Ki6yzbSCMPB91

I'm a huge fan of the disposable hair net skimmer socks. I use them all year. They catch hair and dog hair along with dirt, sand, seeds, etc.

This is what I like, but I haven't compared the cost to knee highs. The ones below come out to 7 cents a piece. At that price, I use two a week (I have 2 skimmers) and throw them away each week , so no cleaning.

Disposable Hair Net, Spun-Bonded Polypropylene, White, 100 per Bag Amazon.com: Disposable Hair Net, Spun-Bonded Polypropylene, White, 100 per Bag: Sports Outdoors

Below are true skimmer socks. I don't know if they would be better for the fine concrete dust. But you can wash them to use again. Use the technique described in the link Richard gave you. Turn them inside out and swish in a bucket of water.

Pool Skimmer Socks Large Premium Filter Saver Socks (10pcs) by Aquatix Pro, Ultrafine Mesh Material to Protect Your Filters, Baskets & Skimmers, Removes Debris, Leaves, Oil, Pollen, Bugs, Scum & More! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WW9LFFQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Ki6yzbSCMPB91

I'm a huge fan of the disposable hair net skimmer socks. I use them all year. They catch hair and dog hair along with dirt, sand, seeds, etc.

Suz, so when I use the hair net it's ok to let it stay in the skimmer all week? I just put mine in Saturday and I didn't know how often I needed to change them.

Suz, so when I use the hair net it's ok to let it stay in the skimmer all week? I just put mine in Saturday and I didn't know how often I needed to change them.

Just check it every couple of days. My hair nets will get darker (brown) from the dust/dirt they filter. About a week usually works for me. If the net part is still fairly white before a week is up, then I'll just scoop out the leaves/pine needles. If it's really yucky, I'll replace.

But like last night, we had bad storms, so I may need to replace them today even though I just changed them yesterday.

I'm not sure why, but I change them once a week no matter if they still look pretty good. It makes me feel better I guess. (I know - frivolous of me with 14 cents! Hahaha)

BTW Will, clean out your PM inbox! SMH....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.