Concrete deck expansion joint repair

brunoforestier

Bronze Supporter
Apr 19, 2020
Denver CO
See attached photos.

I stripped out my pool's old sealant a couple years ago and applied Vulkem 45 SSL into the expansion joints. I filled in the gaps with some foam backer rods before applying the Vulkem.

I expected the sealant to do a better job of adhering to the adjacent slabs, but in many spots around our deck, gaps are evident and I'm going to have to redo it.

Should I have applied a different sealant? Any recommendations here for how to do this right the next time?
IMG_2996.JPGIMG_2995.JPGIMG_3009.JPG

I use sika brand. Theres a fine line with enough sealant and then too much wont level nicely. I actually tape off the sides amd caulk it then tool it amd remove tape. It's a pain amd time consuming. On even joints you can wing it freehand. That separation is the slabs moving, the sealant stayed put but got pulled apart by the weather amd temps

The best material I've ever used is "Dow 790" It's pure silicone and I've seen it last 15+ years in expansion joints around pools. It will stay flexible indefinitely. You will have to tool it as it's not
self leveling but you'll never have to touch it again. Over time most of the other caulks will become hard and break down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.