Concrete coping eroding (pitting) - how to stop

sregler

Jun 22, 2021
Fountain Valley, CA
Hi all,

I am new here and appreciate any help I can get.
We live in southern California with pretty warm weather and little rainfall.
My pool is about 3 years old and I am noticing quite a few areas where the concrete coping is being eroded/pitted.
It seems to occur in the same spot on the outside of the coping between the coping and deck.

Its starts with small little chips and grows from there.
I did have the builder come back a few months ago and they patched it with new concrete but its starting again.

I got a quote for a waterproof seal but i didn't really like the look of it. its looks wet all the time.

Any recommendations for how to stop this?

Attachments

• -4298514886916202846.jpg
    -4298514886916202846.jpg
    977.1 KB · Views: 50
  • -2657638464935922751.jpg
    -2657638464935922751.jpg
    810.5 KB · Views: 47
  • -4452687577156948250.jpg
    -4452687577156948250.jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 47
There are non wet / non slip looking concrete sealers. You can apply them yourself with a paint brush. Can't think of the name of a good one we used before but there are several. Just do not buy at a box store. Get at a concrete supply company or online.
The popping us due to air bubbles at the time of the application. A mixed up concrete dye may be your best solution for blending the small areas.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.
I will try to look for a non wet sealer.

The holes don't bother so much as i just want to stop the continuing erosion.
I’m experiencing a similar efflorescence issue with my concrete coping after some heavy rainfall. Did your solution work? What did you use? Looking for a non wet non slippery fix for the next rare time it rains.

Last edited:
FYI today I went ahead and just did a hard sweep of the concrete coping. Looks fine mostly. I did read about sealers as well and it seems that they are often slippery when applied to concrete coping and they look “wet” and have uneven look as time goes on requiring more routine sealing. Is that the case? If yes, I am thinking to just deal with it and think of it as “pool coping personality “

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.