Concern about jumprock height... 3.5ft above pool into 6ft deep water?

Agree that I wouldn't even think for minute about an umbrella policy with a pool, just do it. It should practically be required, regardless of having a pool frankly.

Per that document, it's water level, so 3.5' from coping might be near 4 feet from water.

How deep is a competition pool, 5 feet? Everyone jumps in for backstroke and knows how to avoid hitting bottom. Is there no personal responsibility to stick to cannonballs and step entries? If I was determined, I could dive into my pool across the width and break my neck on the opposite wall, but everyone knows not to do that.

I think the difference, needsajet, is that most of those pools have giant liability insurance policies, and full time lifeguards that can enforce "no diving", and especially "no using the competition blocks" rules. They are vigilant, and constantly there. That may not stop someone from doing it and hurting themselves, but that's what the liability insurance is for. I notice most of those pools remove the competition blocks and store them when there is not an immediate need for them too.

In this case, you have a private pool that is installing a 3 foot high object that can be easily jumped from. There is no other need for that landscape feature (unlike the competition blocks in a "public" competition pool), and I could easily see a legal argument being made that the homeowner was negligent for installing such a thing in the first place in a pool not designed for diving.

It's just one of those things that you can certainly do, but moving past the legal and financial liability, how crappy would you feel if you put in a rock meant for jumping, some kids came over, and one paralyzed themselves for life? This isn't "jumping into the pool for backstroke" from the side, this is willfully adding three feet to the potential jumping height of a 5' deep pool.

All good points, Triptyx and I agree 100% that jump rock may be a bit high, and that's why I wanted to point out that it's 4' above water level, not 3.5'

My rant was mis-placed :) I was thinking about all the fuss about regular jumping in from the coping.

Thanks for your input and rants ( :p ) guys. I... am apparently being silenced about the jump rock by those in charge of finances for the project... and it is staying.

One thing I can assure people of is that no one who is not entirely responsible will ever be using the pool. No one we know has any kids and none will ever be using the pool I can guarantee it. The family does not invite neighbors over to use pool so it will only be full adult family and very close friends (who are more responsible than me). So, there is that...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My husband jumps off our waterfall into the middle of our pool, which is only about 5 feet deep and hasn't managed to hurt himself yet, but I am not going to claim that it's a smart thing to do. I just cannonball off the side of the pool but I am only 5 feet tall so I don't touch the bottom.

My deep end is 7' and jump rock is about 1.5-2' thick build into the coping. When I jump off my feet touch the bottom every time (I'm 5'7" 135 lbs). I keep saying that I wish I spent the extra money to go to 8'. That being said - hubby dives off of it daily, but he can shallow dive into 4' water easily. Be very careful about the rules of your pool. I doubt anyone would get hurt jumping....but, I'd have a no diving rule to keep people safe.

Our deep end is 9' and doing a pencil dive from the side I easily hit the bottom as an adult. My six year old can do the same, just barely, but he does get the bottom.

I think the jump rock is too high as well.

Thanks for the comments about umbrella on this thread, it motivated me to get off my butt and get a policy. It's cheap, costs us $157/year for $1m in coverage. It's cheap piece of mind insurance.

I have a 7" or 8" (don't remember) high dive rock with an 8' deep pool and can hit the bottom on a dive. I agree with the other posters about getting an umbrella policy. Also, does your homeowners insurance company know you have a pool and more specifically a jump rock? I've had several insurance companies refuse to quote me because of the 8" high rock.

No jump rock here on a 7' depth, but I do have the NO DIVING sign on the fence in the deep end
and any new person who comes over gets "pep talk" about no diving in head first and only
a 7' depth in the deep end.

I also instruct them NOT to try to stand up in the shallow end if they are near the coping edge
as the vinyl can be slippery. I slipped myself on it but reached for the coping and thought a head injury is possible
if someone didn't.

My homeowners insurance policy is fully aware of the pool. They asked if I had one when
I signed up.

I let my insurance company know we built a pool and they increased our cost since the property value was increased as a result. But the liability part and all else stayed the same. I thought there would be more to it, like a line item in the policy in bold that says "OWNER HAS WATERY DEATH TRAP IN THE BACKYARD". Still contemplating the umbrella policy. I just don't think we're risky enough to warrant the cost. When we had rental properties, then it made sense. But like Geosage, only older people are using the pool. It's mostly just for me and my husband.

Still contemplating the umbrella policy. I just don't think we're risky enough to warrant the cost. When we had rental properties, then it made sense. But like Geosage, only older people are using the pool. It's mostly just for me and my husband.

Umbrella covers (extends) your liability protection of your homeowners and auto. AND it also adds personal liability - anywhere in the world. So someone slips on pool deck, falls on steps in house, slips on ice on your sidewalk, involved in car accident, dog bites someone, your at home store pulling out piece of lumber and it slips and hit someone....

Ours covers, as most do I suspect, the insurance company paying for lawyers to defend you in a liability lawsuit.

Many discounts can be had - multiple policies, age, .. Our 1 million policy is only $132/year, well worth the peace of mind.

My thoughts on pool ownership are that it provides a safe oasis for relaxation. If I had a 3.5' jump rock with a 6' max depth, I would be tense 100% of the time. We have a diving board but we also have a fairly deep deep end (friends have tested new scuba equipment in our pool).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.