Composite wood (Trex) for coping?

Lanceinga

Bronze Supporter
Nov 3, 2017
GA
We are in the middle of our pool build and about to meet to plan our Trex deck. We want the Trex composite wood to be the coping also. We have seen several pictures and love the look. The Trex will "picture frame" the pool.
010-05-g-eco-decking-composite-deck-structure-pool-outdure-show-home-kerikeri-nz.jpg

Problem is our deck guy has never done this and therefore not recommending it. I can't for the life of me find any kind of architectural profile drawing or a description of how to construct it. We will have a SWG. Most likely pressure treated ground contact wood will be screwed directly into the top of the bond beam for a base and then Trex over top. Will the pt wood hold up?
Does anyone have any resources, drawings or?

Thanks

Not worth risking big money on composite decking. For the same cash, you could run IPE or Black locust wood that will exceed 30years lifespan with little to no maintenance. There isn't a composite deck maker out there that hasn't seen their fair share of lawsuits and class action settlements. Personally, I won't touch the garbage.

I have never seen anyone with Trex where it did not dissolve after only a few years. I would RUN away from this product. Have you considered stamped concrete instead or a higher quality wood like Teak?

I have never seen anyone with Trex where it did not dissolve after only a few years. I would RUN away from this product. Have you considered stamped concrete instead or a higher quality wood like Teak?

Surprised to hear this. I’ll color myself lucky. Maybe it was the great installer! [emoji6]. 17 years and perfect.

But it’s not coping as this is for. Ipe or similar would be my choice for the wood look.

Surprised to hear this. I’ll color myself lucky. Maybe it was the great installer! [emoji6]. 17 years and perfect.

But it’s not coping as this is for. Ipe or similar would be my choice for the wood look.

We have the certainteed composite product installed 15+ years ago. I clean it every spring but still seems to be solid, fingers crossed. :)

Our Trex is older and in fine structural shape except for where Skippy ignored my comment that pressure washing was *not* a good thing for the surface's fine glossy finish.

And again I'll reiterate that it is hot as hades in summer on bare feet, wet or dry. And suggest a re-think on using it.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would contact ECODECK where the photo came from their web site says they will help with design they have several photos next to pools.

In the Northeast or in cooler climes I can see it, but in hot Georgia where the OP and I both live it is asking for trouble. Unless they've figured out a way to make manufactured wood like this cool...??

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.