Compool CVA-24 Valve Actuator: Reverse or 360 degrees?

Earthman Bob

Bronze Supporter
Mar 25, 2019
Long Island
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I just rebuilt our pool plumbing, and while doing that removed the in-floor cleaning system. The pool plumbing is below the grade of the pool, so in order to work on the equipment, I need to shut all supplies and return valves. My question here is about how to shut off both pool returns.

Originally, as shown in the first picture, the first actuated 3-way valve either allowed the water to be returned to the spa (which in the pic is in the background behind the far valve), or to a second 3-way valve that you can see in the foreground of the first picture. That second 3-way valve (in the foreground) sent the water to either the floor cleaning system (on the left), or to the pool returns on the right.

We wanted to lose the in-floor system, so we capped off the line on the left to the floor system, which left us with just one valve. You can see that in the second picture.

The problem is, since our pool grade is above that of the plumbing, I now have no way of shutting off the returns to work on the equipment. The actuated valve in the back only turns 180 degrees and so can close either the spa or the pool, but not both.

So as far as I see it, my two options are to:

-- reverse that actuator, so that I can then have the option to shut off my pool return. (Not sure how that would work with future automation of the valves.)

--extend the line in the foreground of the second pic, coming off the valve to the pool returns, and put a valve on it.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Attachments

• Shows Pool Valves to Returns Original.jpg
    Shows Pool Valves to Returns Original.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Shows Pool Valves to Returns New Setup.jpg
    Shows Pool Valves to Returns New Setup.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 9
Remove the 4 screws that hold the actuator on the valve and remove actuator from the top of the valve.
Place the handle on the valve and you can now turn the valve to close the inlet.
Reverse and replace actuator when work is complete.

Or

This manual overide is from the Jandy actuator manual but I think works on the Pentair/Compool:

1. Move toggle switch located on the bottom of actuator to the OFF (center) position.
2. Unscrew (counterclockwise) the locking knob above the handle four (4) full turns.
3. Push down on the locking knob (not the handle). This will disengage the gear train and allow the handle, and thus the valve diverter, to be moved to any position.
4. To return the actuator to automatic position, pull up on the handle while turning it clockwise or counterclockwise until you feel the shaft slide up into the gear train. Turn the locking knob down (clockwise) until snug.
5. Put toggle switch back to the original position

https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/h/h0570800.pdf?force=1 page 9

Last edited:
Remove the 4 screws that hold the actuator on the valve and remove actuator from the top of the valve.
Place the handle on the valve and you can now turn the valve to close the inlet.
Reverse and replace actuator when work is complete.

Or

This manual overide is from the Jandy actuator manual but I think works on the Pentair/Compool:

1. Move toggle switch located on the bottom of actuator to the OFF (center) position.
2. Unscrew (counterclockwise) the locking knob above the handle four (4) full turns.
3. Push down on the locking knob (not the handle). This will disengage the gear train and allow the handle, and thus the valve diverter, to be moved to any position.
4. To return the actuator to automatic position, pull up on the handle while turning it clockwise or counterclockwise until you feel the shaft slide up into the gear train. Turn the locking knob down (clockwise) until snug.
5. Put toggle switch back to the original position

https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/h/h0570800.pdf?force=1 page 9

Your first suggestion certainly is a fairly easy solution, since it's not that often that I need to do work on the equipment. But I am going to try that manual override from the manual link you sent first.

Thanks for these simple solutions!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.