Completely Unbonded Pool

cale42

Jun 13, 2018
Rockford, IL
Installing a new pool pump this year has gotten me thinking about my pool electrical in general.

I want to know if anyone can explain the risks of an unbonded pool in a very old very simple system. As best I can ascertain my pool is 100% unbonded. It was built in 1950(year permit was pulled) so well before it was a required thing. It is vinyl lined over either a wood or concrete frame. It has no coping. I do not know if there is rebar in the concrete. We have had it for 6 years, all problem free electrically. For most of that time the only metal in the pool was an underwater light, which never worked, and I was suspicious of so it is permanently disconnected electrically. This past year we added 2 metal ladders.

I have searched high and low and can find no sign of a bonding wire anywhere.. neither the pump nor the heater(millivolt gas) are bonded. The pool store that installed our ladders last year made no mention of it. The only underground things coming to the equipment pad are the water intake, water return, and metal conduit for the light.

So I have two separate questions. First and most importantly.. what is my real risk here with such a setup? I'm used to not exactly living up to modern code.. my house is 98 years old.. we have knob and tube wiring and ungrounded fixtures.. they are just part of life in an old house. Is this kind of like that?

Or is there a real risk and I should be looking to solve this. I would like to have an electrician out to look at is and give me an opinion, but in a fairly small town I'm not sure if I can find anyone with any swimming pool expertise. Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

Chris

So I have two separate questions. First and most importantly.. what is my real risk here with such a setup? I'm used to not exactly living up to modern code.. my house is 98 years old.. we have knob and tube wiring and ungrounded fixtures.. they are just part of life in an old house. Is this kind of like that?
The objective of bonding to to equalize any potential difference (aka volts) between to conductive materials and avoid electrical shock.

In most cases lack of bonding prevents discomfort of small shocks when entering/leaving the water, but if the difference is big enough it could temporarily incapacitate a bather (specially young kids and elderly people) potentially leading to drowning. It is extremely rare for such difference of potential to also have enough current to kill someone with an electrical shock.

The reasons for difference in potential are many, but most comum are mineral composition of the soil, stray current from nearby electrical wires/appliances and equipment failure. If you are able to rule out the last two than the risk is not too bad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.