Completed SLAM last week and now yellowish/brown stuff

Per the SLAM documentation, completion of SLAM is determined by the following:
  • CC is 0.5 or lower
  • AND you pass an shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less)
  • AND pool water is crystal clear with no visible sign of algae (dead or alive) on floor and walls
I followed this process meticulously and met all the criteria for completion, CC was 0.0, OCLT was 0.4 and water was crystal clear, that would indicate SLAM is done. How would I know that I needed to raise FC to mustard algae SLAM levels?

This is the first I heard of this "additional step" and I haven't seen it in any documentation. But maybe I missed something.

Can anyone else confirm this? Seems a bit contradictory. If I completed SLAM, why would I raise my FC levels even higher if the documentation suggests the issue is resolved?
Perhaps I’m misreading your narrative. It reads to me that you’re saying during and after you believe you completed SLAM, you still see algae. That would be a fail for criteria #3 - crystal clear water with no algae.

Did you pop out and clean in and behind your lights and ladders? A sneaky algae colony in a low circulation location can quickly reintroduce algae after you think you have finished your SLAM.
That's what was making my pool have algae all over the floor.

Removing of the light revealed a whole colony of disgusting-ness. I also removed the ladder and scrubbed the heck out of it.

And low and behold, within 48 hrs the algae and "poof clouds" were gone.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.