Complete with Refill Am I ready to SLAM?

I was looking at my numbers in pool math and just started paying attention to the CSI. My CSI of -0.39 indicates a risk of plaster corrosion. Is this something I should be concerned with at this time or do I just wait until I get control of this thing to adjust that? I know good trouble shooting methodology requires one change at a time and allow that change to settle before making the next one; however, Considering the amount of plaster grit that I have filtered out, anything that suggests a plaster issue grabs my attention.

I am from KY, so that WOULD make sense. I actually gave no thought to my handle, just my initials and the word pool. So much for the creativity of an analytical person[emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am from KY, so that WOULD make sense. I actually gave no thought to my handle, just my initials and the word pool. So much for the creativity of an analytical person[emoji851]

LOL, mine is pool and then my initials, reverse creativity.

CSI from -0.6 to 0.6 is ok. And it is an indicator of potential for problems, not a cause for immediate concern. Agree with MP, finish the SLAM and then balance the water and keep a slightly negative CSI, -0.1 to -0.2ish.

Tested a couple of times last night 3:00, 7:00, & 11:30 and again this morning at 9:00 AM Test results are the same every time. Tested multiple times this morning with different samples each time to determine if I could possibly be making an error. Also had my wife run a test for validation.
FC 24.5
CC 0

The clarity is definitely improving, BUT... My water is NOT clear & blue, it has a clear greenish cast. I can see the drain but not clearly. I brushed pretty thoroughly last night with only some cloudiness increase after. Still getting the sandy grit in the filter but it is no longer fully plugging. Only a 4 PSI increase overnight.

SO........ My FC is not falling and CC is Zero, & I have not added bleach for over 4 days now. My intent was not to perform an OCLT but effectively this is what I did. The one exception is that this morning's sample was after a couple of hours of sunlight. BUT... No FC loss so that shouldn't matter.

Your opportunity to Educate Kevin:confused:
It appears to me (keep in mind I am new to this) that there is no longer benefit to keeping the chlorine at slam level since there seems to be nothing in the water consuming the chlorine. If I am incorrect, please explain the reasoning. Please know that I am not doubting the process at all but I AM a tad anal retentive about understanding everything :eek:

To my mind, the only thing improving water quality at this point is the filtration and I should let the FC drop to the proper level and balance the rest of the chemistry. Based on my FC loss rate, this could take over a week giving the filter lots of time to clean up the cloud.

Let the classes begin;)

IMG_1538.jpgIMG_1540.jpgIMG_1537.jpgIMG_1536.jpg

Additional information.
I have been digging deeper to see if I can determine why the green cloudy water without chlorine loss.
I deep cleaned my suction strainer & basket & Deep cleaned my filter housing. Neither of these were bad but I did remove a brown film from both of these.
I removed the lid to the chlorine tab dispenser and found a lot of loose scale?? peeling off the inside surface. Looks and feels like peeling latex paint... kind of rubbery but also crusty in places. Scraped, Scrubbed and cleaned that as well. It has been turned off through this entire process but I wanted to be on the safe side.

Pulled the barracuda out and did a thorough manual vacuum and plan on running only the main drain and skimmer the remainder of the day to see where that lands me.

Photo of the pool killing tab dispenser

IMG_1543.jpg

1 PPM FC loss today & CC now on the low side of 1. Looks like I knocked something alive off the walls with the brushing this morning. Picked up a new brush today, the old one has been worn slap out in the past 3 weeks. New one has some wire mixed in, hope that helps do a better job scrubbing. Brushed again tonight and added 1 quart of 8.25 to ensure I stay above slam level

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It was pretty bad. Can't wait to get this thing leveled out and stabilized. Swim season is very close for us.

Clarity is MUCH better this morning, it is actully sparkling. Floor drain is clearly visible; however, I doubt that I could pass the dime heads/tails test. The water still has a greenish hue but I am now thinking that will always be the case because of the green quartz that is in my plaster.
Busy day yesterday. Only thing I didn't mention is that I bought a new Pleatco filter. Seems to be of much better construction than the one that had come from Lowes & may be a contributor to the improved clarity.

Included a photo of a water sample in a glass jar in attempt to beer show the clarity. In the photos of the pool the water looks much cloudier than it is.

Going to continue with the slam, but I do think I am very very close to the end of this. This has bee over 25 days of constant attention

Probably wasting reagents, but I ran a full test this morning mostly due to my love of information & data. I added about a quart of bleach last night and overshot the target FC level a tad.

FC - 26
CC - 0
CH - 175
TA - 70
CYA - 55
PH - 7.6

IMG_1545.jpgIMG_1548.jpgIMG_1549.jpgIMG_1551.jpg

MUCH progress for sure! Lets keep the SLAM going! At least it is "easy" now with such little FC lose!

Watch the gauge and clean your filter as needed (when it gets to 25% over you clean pressure).

I can't wait for you to see your water when we call it done!

Kim

Clarity continues to improve. Ran the OCLT last night, more out of timing of fitting tesing into my schedule than the belief that it would pass. FC loss of 6 overnight so I am still plugging along. I was surprised to see that much loss but data doesn't lie.

IMG_1555.jpgIMG_1558.jpgIMG_1559.jpg

Thanks for the support. I know I am getting tired of people telling to go to the pool store. Including the neighbor that provided lots of advice to the previous owner. He tells me I should just get a SWG & I won't ever have to test or add any other chemicals[emoji848]. He also said the pool was in perfect shape when the previous owner had it. I guess something magical happened on closing day [emoji23]I learned two things yesterday. I know why my pool was so messed up & not to swim in the neighbor's pool. Nothing worse than uneducated "Experts"

LOL wait until you see the look of :shock: when you tell someone you put *gasp* bleach in your pool! We have all learned to say chlorine as that does not produce as much a reaction! Forget about the fact it is the same thing!!!!!!!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.