Complete green algae

water is clear but still milky
Awesome !!! Green is alive algae. Milky/cloudy is either dead or mostly dead algae. Keep the FC up to finish the job, which is much easier now than when it’s pea soup. With the FC somewhat holding your fight changes from a chemistry battle to a filter out the crud battle. Change gears and babysit the filter. Rinse/backwash/clean at any psi rise of 25% while still keeping an eye on the FC.

You got this.

I guess you can see the progress but the pictures still show very unclear water. My opinion is regardless of filter pressure I'd tear into the filter and clean the cartridges very well and possibly go as far as soaking them for several hours. this may be part of the hold back.

Reactions: Newdude
He means soaking them in a TSP solution. Big garbage can filled with water and TSP and soak the filters. Its a deep cleaning.

I think 1 cup TSP per 5 gallons of water is the recommended amount.

There was a member mentioning this product Coming chlorine shortage? - It is Here! being used for filter soaking with very good outcome. I can't find the thread
@remoking the link directs you to me making fun of HomeDepots wickedly overpriced bleach being sold as ‘outdoor cleaner’. That’s not the product Wireform is thinking of, Just somewhere else in the thread.

I’d hose off your filters like you usually do. You’ll know if they are regular clean when you are done. If so put em back. If not do a 5g : 1c TSP bath as said above. It should clean fine with the hose though. (y)

so, I did my weekly water test and CYA reading came out less than 30. typically, I would buy granular stabilizer from Amazon, but before I do that this time, do any of you recommend a better CYA liquid solution or CYA product that has worked best.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just bought a 25# box of powdered CYA for $70 on Amazon. "Rx Clear" brand. Based on my recent usage (had to add 5# already this season to keep my CYA at 50), this is a steal compared to the Clorox branded stuff I was buying at Home Depot for over $20 per 4# bag. Considering that it doesn't go bad, no reason to not stock up.

Reactions: Pv2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.