Complete green algae

I will be testing the water again in the evening and post the readings here.
You started the SLAM last night? I thought at the start of the SLAM process you should be checking the FC and CC at most every two hours and if possible every hour until the SLAM level starts to hold.

EDIT: No less than twice a day, the way I see it if you test and adjust more the first day or two the slam will pass by much quicker because the problem is getting attacked heavely the first couple of days. "Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day. Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first. As things progress, you will lose less chlorine each cycle and can add chlorine less frequently."

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude and Pv2
I tested CYA its around 25, can you please recommend what do I do now.
Yesterday it was 60. It cannot change that much without draining about 1/2 the pool volume. Did you do the test under the same atmospheric conditions? Bright sun, etc?

False alarm, I tested again and it's around 35 - 40. If it goes below 30, what would I need to.
if you are SLAMMING don't do anything, that is a good level for the job, you might want to raise it a little after you pass the 3 SLAM criteria, but you haven't really been clear in explaining what exactly you are doing. have you replaced water since yesterday when the CYA was 60? have you read the SLAM instructions? you need to test for CHLORINE several times per day and keep adding liquid chlorine to keep it at SLAM level. we are trying to understand how you went from 60 to 40 in one day. that can only happen with significant water replacement.

Oh sorry, I should've been more clear.

1) No I did not replace the water
2) Yes I read the SLAM instructions and keeping the FC level above recommended levels. As a matter of fact, I added a bit higher than recommended since I knew that I wasn't going to be able to test last night.
3) I didn't test every two hours but twice a day.

Yes, get comfortable with your CYA number and use that to calculate the right SLAM level.

Your CYA should be constant unless you are adding pucks or other items that contain CYA, or draining and refilling a good portion of your water.

During the SLAM I would just test FC and brush/vacuum. Once you start getting towards the end when you can see the bottom, you can test CC as well but for now I would just save your drops for the FC testing.

On the CYA test, it can be a bit tricky but you can also repeat it over and over with the same sample if you are unsure.

Just pour the vial contents back into the squeeze bottle and re-test. You can do that until you get a consistent CYA result.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking good, you can see a bit more clarity on the step/tanning ledge and can see that it is starting to turn milky blue.

What type of filter do you have and are you monitoring it for when you need to clean/backwash it? As your chlorine kills the algae, the filter will filter out the dead algae (the milky looking stuff), and will need to be cleaned more often.

Ok, for my pump motor, the typical or recommended pressure is 8-10. Throughout the SLAM process the pressure was always in the range 8-10.

Is there a day range for milky water to clear on its own, i.e. 2 to 3 days or a week. not sure if I'm asking for something that doesn't make sense.

Your filter pressure is what your filter pressure is. No one can tell you what range it will be in.

It can take days to weeks to clear the pool. Depends on your pool, your diligence to the process, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.