Complete green algae

Double check this one. CYA is a bit of an oddity, but there are no drops involved. You simply fill up the squeeze bottle with the solution and pool water, then you fill up the cylinder until the black dot at the bottom disappears.

You have a picture of the cylinder in one of your pictures and the line is between 50 and 60. Is that where the black dot disappeared? If so, round up and call your CYA 60.
Yes that's correct, the uploaded image is right.

Yes that's correct, the uploaded image is right.
Ok, good. So now that you know your CYA, that will tell your your FC target for the SLAM.

Then follow the SLAM process, which will take quite a bit of liquid chlorine over the next few days/week.

No, here is the JJ translation:

Target FC - This is where your algae free pool should spend most of its day. When adding chlorine, shoot for the high end of this range or feel free to go a bit higher so that it drifts down into range as the chlorine gets used up.

Minimum FC - Never ever ever let your FC get near this number. Algae will start to grow below this number.

SLAM FC - You only use this FC when you have algae and need to SLAM. Read up on the SLAM process, but you add chlorine to get to the SLAM level and you add chlorine multiple times a day to keep it at the SLAM level until all of the algae is dead. This may take several days or even weeks.

Right now you just need to worry about the SLAM. Once you have killed all of your algae and have a crystal clear pool, let it drift down to the target FC range and keep it there to prevent future algae.

drop your pH down first, use muriatic acid. while you are SLAMming don't bother with any other tests except chlorine. pH doesn't read right at high chlorine levels but the chlorine works better at lower pH so do that first. read the SLAM instructions and just do things one at a time.

Read up on the SLAM, but one of the pre-requisites is to lower your ph to 7.2-7.5. If your pH is already there you are fine, if not, lower it to 7.2.

The reasoning for this is that you will not be able to test pH until you are done with the SLAM, since that test is inaccurate over FC of 10. Since pH tends to rise over time, you lower it 7.2 so it will remain in range regardless of how long your SLAM takes.

Reactions: Pv2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
sorry, had to ask, does it matter If water is completely flushed out and replenished before SLAM process, or may be that's not needed. please confirm.
Dont be sorry for asking questions, we are here to help.

With that said, I'm not sure I'm following your question. Completely flushed out of where? the pool, the vial, something else?

Usually for a normal sized inground pool in the area (10k - 20k gallons), you just work with the water you have in the pool unless you have high calcium or CYA. The chlorine kills the algae and your filter filters out the dead algae and other gunk.

If you do have a smaller pool let us know, as you can sometimes dump the water and refill. You still have to SLAM because you will still have algae living in the pipes, but that usually drastically lessens the SLAM duration.

sorry, had to ask, does it matter If water is completely flushed out and replenished before SLAM process, or may be that's not needed. please confirm.
do you mean backwashing a sand filter? yes start with clean filters and you may have to clean them several more times before SLAM is finished, depending on size of filter and amount of algae. if you put your pool size and type and equipment in your sig line it helps people helping you not have to go back and look or ask repeatedly. it can go in your profile too but to mem sig is better.

wanted to give you all an update that I started SLAM process last evening, this is how water is currently looking. I will be testing the water again in the evening and post the readings here.

Hope we're moving in the right direction, as every hour I see less green and more cloudy water changes.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-07-17 at 12.07.56 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-07-17 at 12.07.56 PM.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 27
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-07-17 at 12.07.43 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-07-17 at 12.07.43 PM.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 27
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-07-17 at 1.47.51 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-07-17 at 1.47.51 PM.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 27
Awesome. Do you know if there is any debris at the bottom of the pool? If there is make sure you get that stuff out since your chlorine will attack that as well as the algae.

Keep at it and brush often. Hopefully it changes from cloudy green to cloudy blue in the next day or so as the suspended algae begins to die.

Make sure to stay with it. Do your best to keep the chlorine at or above slam level. Patience was the hardest part for me! Mine wasn't too bad but I still pumped and filtered on high speed 24/7 until I passed the ONCLT two nights in a row.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.