Complaint about pool builder

VacaAtHome

Apr 17, 2019
Charlotte, NC
We are on week 8 since our pool builder began digging. After the gunite was applied, there has been little to no progress for the last 6 weeks. The electrician and gas crew have done some work, but that’s about it. Our pool builder also won’t respond to us despite repeated messages asking him what the status is. The only way we really can get any type of response is by calling from an unknown number. He was supposed to order our Oceanside glass tile, but who knows if he’s even done that yet! He did say he is waiting on a special crew to install the tile for our negative edge spa, but we don’t even know when they are expected to show up! Sometime before this summer is over would be nice.

Anyways, I’m just wondering if this is normal for a pool builder to just vanish and not respond to texts/voicemails/emails? I feel we have been very patient, and I have a pit in my stomach after we have seen some glowing reviews about how “responsive” our pool builder is. Would it be helpful or harmful to post a negative review before the pool is finished?

No response and screening out your calls doesn’t seem normal. 6-weeks of no work seems normal. We had about 2-months of no work after gunite. Our pool builder would respond to my texts though to offer a new excuse. It did finally get done and it came out great.

So....not sure what to make of yours. I would hold off on the negative review for now. I wanted to do that and more sometimes during our construction, but my wife calmed me down. I’m glad she did, the builder did finally deliver on everything.

Can you call from an unknown number and just ask him directly why he doesn’t respond to you?

Reactions: VacaAtHome
I wouldn't post a negative review yet. Hold that as your leverage until the project is finished. You also have the leverage of money. Do not pay for anything additional until work already paid for has been completed.

First off..................I feel so sad for you! Something that should be a wonderful fun thing is causing so much stress and it is NOT fair! Saying that there has to be a "PB school" that teaches them to take on too many jobs at one time AND to not answer any kind of communication :(

What can you do
-do NOT leave any kind of review as of yet. Save that for when the pool is 100% done.
-Go to his shop, if he has one, with a bag of yummy smelling goodies and have a sit in until he comes in so you can chat with him while eating yummies (notice I did not say share them with him :roll:)
-Does he use yard signs? See if you can find any other builds he is doing and can find someone working there and chatting with them.

From now on only use written communication with him with dates and times sent-Text and emails- NO voice mails unless it is also sent in written form. You want a paper trail from now on.

No response and screening out your calls doesn’t seem normal. 6-weeks of no work seems normal. We had about 2-months of no work after gunite. Our pool builder would respond to my texts though to offer a new excuse. It did finally get done and it came out great.

So....not sure what to make of yours. I would hold off on the negative review for now. I wanted to do that and more sometimes during our construction, but my wife calmed me down. I’m glad she did, the builder did finally deliver on everything.

Can you call from an unknown number and just ask him directly why he doesn’t respond to you?
I hope we don’t have to wait 2 months before they do the tiling! I agree, next time we call him or see him in person, we will just ask him why he’s not responding. Thank you for your help!

First off..................I feel so sad for you! Something that should be a wonderful fun thing is causing so much stress and it is NOT fair! Saying that there has to be a "PB school" that teaches them to take on too many jobs at one time AND to not answer any kind of communication :(

What can you do
-do NOT leave any kind of review as of yet. Save that for when the pool is 100% done.
-Go to his shop, if he has one, with a bag of yummy smelling goodies and have a sit in until he comes in so you can chat with him while eating yummies (notice I did not say share them with him :roll:)
-Does he use yard signs? See if you can find any other builds he is doing and can find someone working there and chatting with them.

From now on only use written communication with him with dates and times sent-Text and emails- NO voice mails unless it is also sent in written form. You want a paper trail from now on.
If he did have an office/shop, I definitely would be there! He uses yard signs (I’ve wanted to remove ours). I will keep a lookout for them, but I think most of his builds are further up north near the lake. Maybe he just does not like our build since it’s out of the way for him. Our paper trail will be interesting....just a bunch of messages from us asking if he could provide any type of update ? Thanks for the suggestions!

Also, I’m glad you were happy with your pool in the end! My fear is that if I don’t say anything now and end up being unhappy with the pool when it’s finished! ?

Well, I think delays are inevitable... it just happens. Rain, busy, sub not available, etc. However, if you are not happy with the quality of work that they do, you should definitely speak up as soon as possible so it can be corrected. It's your money and your pool and you deserve to have workmanship that is up to your standards. Especially if these things were stipulated in your contract... you are entitled to them. Delays, though... I think are common. What is uncommon is the part about the PB ignoring you or avoiding you or not responding at all. That's not acceptable and not normal.

Also, I’m glad you were happy with your pool in the end! My fear is that if I don’t say anything now and end up being unhappy with the pool when it’s finished! ?
I definitely understand your frustration though. One of my wife’s friend told her it was like childbirth! Once it’s done, you’ll forget how painful it was! Ours only got completely done a few weeks ago, and I just recommended them to someone. That’s after I told my wife I was going to fire him in the middle of the project and then sue him (mostly just venting to my wife).

Anyway...my point is that looooong delays and terrible communication certainly seem the norm here in Austin. Not saying your PB is not shady, but some of what you are experiencing seems normal. You should draw a “red line” when you speak to him. The red line is him not responding back to you at all. That is unacceptable.

Kim has the best suggestion, make sure you have a paper trail going forward. Hang in there!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool remodel was so painful. The PB was great at tile, fair at plaster, and totally incompetent at plumbing and electrical. PB re-did the plumbing until it was right, but I had to hire a master electrician at my own expense to fix PB’s electrical mess.

The happy ending is that we’ve been enjoying the “new” pool for a year now, and everything is good. The pain of the process is just a memory.

I definitely understand your frustration though. One of my wife’s friend told her it was like childbirth! Once it’s done, you’ll forget how painful it was! Ours only got completely done a few weeks ago, and I just recommended them to someone. That’s after I told my wife I was going to fire him in the middle of the project and then sue him (mostly just venting to my wife).

Anyway...my point is that looooong delays and terrible communication certainly seem the norm here in Austin. Not saying your PB is not shady, but some of what you are experiencing seems normal. You should draw a “red line” when you speak to him. The red line is him not responding back to you at all. That is unacceptable.

Kim has the best suggestion, make sure you have a paper trail going forward. Hang in there!
Haha I’ve made some of the same comments!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.