Central Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
As my pool build continues along, I'm thinking ahead to the landscaping lights I want to DIY install. I will be placing PVC chases into the decking, so I will have wires run to the locations, and would like to have the landscaping lights integrated into our EasyTouch system for control, and also be able to control the color of the landscaping lights independently of the pool lights.

We will have three Pentair GloBrites in the pool, wired up to the EasyTouch 4 controller. I've no issue converting the ET4 into an ET8 (VIA the resistor method) if needed, but am unsure as to what landscaping lighting systems would be compatible.

I understand any system could be wired into a breaker and relay on the ET, for simple "on/off" control, but do not understand what systems would also allow color control from ScreenLogic.

I saw a previous reply from @jimmythegreek where he mentioned the colors are controlled by pulsing a relay .... is it the relay feeding the 120v power into the landscaping transformer, or is it some low voltage control signal relay which controls the colors?

Seeing the Pentair landscaping lights have assignable addresses, I wonder if they are just using some form for DMX lighting control?

What I was referring to was pool lights. Many of the colof changing LED bulb retrofits have no controler they use an on off to trigger the next color or light show. I have a pureled from inyopools and that's how I choose from i think 12 choices. I use Hayward and have little experience with pentair just from repairs/retrofits. I'm not a fan of any of the big name lights they all seem to fail early amd are pricey. Even on warranty they cut warranty shorter on the replacements. The lesser name stuff is just as good if not better and cheaper but they get you on the automation needs

Gotcha, thanks for the info. It appears the Pentair landscape lights work the same way, in terms of power cycling to select the mode. Although they're $170 each, but state 15w power. Most of the lesser name stuff appears to be 3-5w each.

I think I may go with Pentair lights for directly around the pool area, and go with something like Malibu (or other) for the remaining parts of the yard. This would also give me the ability to control the pool area separately from the rest of the property.

I was really hoping for the ability to select scenes on the EasyTouch, which would recall pool light colors and landscaping light colors. I'd be able to do that with the Pentair lights, but the lesser brands would just be "on/off".

It seems I would need 3 relays and 3 transformers to do that. One for the pool lights, one for the pool area landscaping lights, and a 3rd for the remaining property lights. I would use RGB for the pool and pool area landscaping lights, and probably just go with white for the remaining property lights.

That said, I'm now wondering if some solar landscaping lights wouldn't work fine for my remaining property lights. I came across these, and they seem to have stellar reviews. I may order 4 and see if they'll work for me. The only downside is they'd always be on at night (daylight sensor), unless I walked to each light and switched them off. Considering these would be a good distance from the pool area, I think I'd be ok with that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.