Communication Error - Hayward Goldline Prologic

FreewayRoss

May 7, 2024
Hello,

I have a Hayward controller that is displaying "Communication Error"(Please see attached pic). None of the functionalities/ buttons are working., most importantly the pump is not working. I have the Hayward remote that worked before this happened, now the controls through the remote don't work either.
  1. Tested the transformer based on a procedure mentioned in this forum and the Ohm value between the leads are in spec.
  2. Tried to turn off the breaker for extended period of time and then restart but the error comes back as soon as the controller turns on.
  3. Pulled the controller out and tested the connecter ribbon wire between the controller and the board for continuity, all 4 wires check out. Although I did notice slight black/fraying of the green cable in ribbon.
Looking for what else I should be looking at? Can it be the controller or the board. Also can someone tell me what leads to short to bypass the relay and run the pump manually while i figure this out? Attached a pic of the current setup of the pool pump connection.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG20240507145516.jpg
    IMG20240507145516.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG20240507145541.jpg
    IMG20240507145541.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hello,

I have a Hayward controller that is displaying "Communication Error"(Please see attached pic). None of the functionalities/ buttons are working., most importantly the pump is not working. I have the Hayward remote that worked before this happened, now the controls through the remote don't work either.
  1. Tested the transformer based on a procedure mentioned in this forum and the Ohm value between the leads are in spec.
  2. Tried to turn off the breaker for extended period of time and then restart but the error comes back as soon as the controller turns on.
  3. Pulled the controller out and tested the connecter ribbon wire between the controller and the board for continuity, all 4 wires check out. Although I did notice slight black/fraying of the green cable in ribbon.
Looking for what else I should be looking at? Can it be the controller or the board. Also can someone tell me what leads to short to bypass the relay and run the pump manually while i figure this out? Attached a pic of the current setup of the pool pump connection.

Thanks.
What pump do you have? Given the amount of water that control has had in it, the board may be bad. Sprinklers? Door left open?

Thanks for the reply, I've attached pic of the pump. No the controller hasn't been in water, we keep the door always closed and no sprinklers around. Those water stains could be from operating the controller with slightly wet fingers while doing pool maintenance. I haven't done anything in the past 2 weeks to get it wet before it started showing the error.

PS: I was out of town, the pool water level dropped(evaporation) causing the pump to suck in air through skimmer and lose prime. The pump ran hours without prime, the main drain valve was also open. Could this be because the Pump is shot? How do i test the pump? I tried to rotate the pump's impeller, it rotates freely.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG20240507195308 (1).jpg
    IMG20240507195308 (1).jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: